Draght Proofing Garage Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

i use my garage alot for my work and things, and in the winter its F R E E Z I N G. i am willing to put electric heaters in it, but im not prepared to do that if half the headed air will escape out the gaps around the garage door. i have sealed the side entry door (literally, i screwed the door into the frame)and the door into the house has normal strip excluder around the frame.

the big metal up n' over door has a half inch gap all the way round... i have tried putting rubber lips on the door frame so that it seals the door. worked well BUT the door would not open very easily as the door gets jammed on the seal. i cant seal the bottom because the metal bit at the bottom is too short to attach anything too...

all i can think off is hanging a bit curtain from the wooden beam at the top and hang it down over the door compleatly...

any thoughts or wisdom greatly recieved.

Thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
you seem to have answered your question, hang a heavy curtain

unless that is you will no longer be using the dooor at all, i have seen several in my time that are there from the outside, but not from the inside, they are all boarded and plastered

the door is in constant use, especialy in the wet months when the dog uses it.

i am slowly surrounding the door in plastic strip that when closed is about 2mm away from the frame. i intend to put some traditional draght excluder so it seals the gap....

any other ideas?

Thanks.

not sure if its what youre after, but i had problems with damp and draughts around the bottom of our garage door. I screwed a batten to the bottom of the door and cut some cheap rubber car mats in half and fixed those to the batten. Works a treat. You might be able to do something similar at the jambs.

Sponsored Links
if the batten is too wide, it wont close properly....

the bottom is now the biggest crack, as i have gone round the rest of the door with corex and superglue.

i might be able to fix a batten to fhe floor that the bottom of the door comes into contact to, with strips of draught excluder. might also be able to use a latch to increase security.

but then people might trip over it....

the lip of metal at the bottom of the door is not high enough to screw anything to - thats what failed my first plan of screwing a rubber lip to the garage.

i have gone around the outside where the wooden frame meets the brick and hammerd some cat5e network cable into the gap - and that works pretty well.

in the winter, the door will be in constant use, so a curtain is somewhat infeasable....

If you stop the draughts there is a good chance that you will end up with damp problems of some sort, most garages need ventilation to stay dry.

hoarp001 said:
any other ideas?
Change the door?

Wooden doors are warmer which you can use draught proof strip or roller door type which have a seal in the jamb.

Not very practicle, its strange, i went in there afew mins ago and it is noticicably warmer - even my skeptic father said it was warmer.

the plastic strips seem to be working....

actually, SHE drags the person walking her through the door. the person being dragged has the key.

she cant hold it in her paws.

i could use a smaller batten, or i might put bubble wrap in the gap...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back