Drain combi to repair leaking plastic pipe joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a combi (Viessmann 100) fitted last year, and the plumbers directly connected the mains cold and the DHW feed to two existing plastic flexible pipes, which run up into the loft and then down behind the bathroom wall to the shower. (Before combi boiler days they were connected to a shower pump.)

There is a leak in the loft where there is a join in the plastic piping (on both pipes, as it happens) - they've been leaking for years but plumber thought he'd fixed them when fitting the boiler. No such luck.

Given no isolating valves at the boiler end of the pipes I'm staring at a wet loft (and below) unless I'm careful.... Here's my plan:

1. switch off mains water stopcock
2. switch off DHW feed at the boiler
3. open a hot and cold tap to relieve pressure in both circuits?
4. remake the joins in the loft
5. switch everything back on again

I'm only used to having worked on our old conventional boiler, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right for a combi... is there anything I need to be careful of? How do I make sure that it doesn't try to switch on while the water's off - just switch off the electric switch to the boiler??

Any suggestions / warnings appreciated. Thanks all

Sponsored Links
1. Yes

2. No need to switch of feed, just turn the boiler off (should have an off switch/ no CH or DHW)

3. Yes, and to drain any pipework above.

4. Yup

5. Easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back