Drain direction and depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to dig out what is my garage floor (its a link detached house and its just covered in gravel), and put down hardcore and a concrete base

My neighbours kitchen sink waste (it is only sink and washing machine...not toilet, and their kitchen is at the back of their house btw) goes right under my garage and into the manhole in the middle of my drive

Other than just digging down and *finding it*, is there a way to map the depth and direction ?

From what i know, its an old clay type pipe

Sponsored Links
Local drain company to 'CAT & genny' trace the drain - should be able to give you the depth of the drain with a CAT4 detector

He needs to find it first, try a metal detector if it is not visible or unsure of location.

Andy

Sponsored Links
when i say find the drain, i mean the pipe and its direction
i believe it is a clay pipe encased in concrete so not sure a metal detector will pick it up

i know where the manhole cover is as i replaced the metal lid some years ago

Water divining may give you an approximate location, provided there's no other pipework in the vicinity. Drain should run in a straight line from manhole to gulley, if you still need definite clarification, then its CAT and Genny or Sonar tracing.

Water divining may give you an approximate location,

You're not wrong there! There was a Twitter storm recently because some social media communications teams at water companies said that their teams may be using that techniqueoccasionally. People assumed the situation media team was right and the engineer's were wrong, which is the less logical explanation

Its worked for me before now! Guy with expensive tracing gear, and me with a bent coat hanger, we both gave the same position within 6 inches. Dug down and found pipe.

Its worked for me before now! Guy with expensive tracing gear, and me with a bent coat hanger, we both gave the same position within 6 inches. Dug down and found pipe.

I've always picked up Radio 1 when I've used metal hangers, so a bit distracting. Plastic crazy straws are better IMO.

i believe it is a clay pipe encased in concrete so not sure a metal detector will pick it up

Maybe not, but you may find a pouch of Roman coins instead and then you can pay one of the drainage chaps in this thread to come down stand on the manhole lid and triangulate the hypotenuse of the drainage line using the squint method.

I've always picked up Radio 1 when I've used metal hangers, so a bit distracting. Plastic crazy straws are better IMO.
Not allowed any more, plastic straws are bad for the environment. You'll have to use reusable ones from now on

That's crazy. Are we the only family that washes straws and reuses them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back