Drain inspection / collapsed drain help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 3" rain water drainpipe that runs under my 60s house from the guttering at the back to the main drains at the front of the house which I am concerned may have collapsed. I got Dynorod out to do an inspection but the guy couldn't fit his camera down the drain as the pipe goes a foot down into the ground where there is a sharp 90 degree bend before it runs under the house, which the camera wouldn't fit around. He also told me there had been a partial collapse in this area further obstructing access to the drain.

He suggested that I call the water board as it is a terraced house and every other house has a downpipe, so my neighbour's rainwater go down my drain, so it is a shared drain which they are supposed to fix, but I am concerned I might not get anywhere with them in which case they would quote me for digging out the entrance, fixing the immediate collapse and inspecting the drain.

However if the drain is collapsed further under the house, he said they don't do the lining in 3" and it might not be possible to line it anyway if it has collapsed. I don't fancy having my kitchen units ripped out and the foundations dug up and re-poured, not to mention how expensive that would be.

Could I construct a spillover in the back garden and run the waste water there? Or run a new drainpipe through the house above the floor, behind the kitchen units? Any particular reason why the drain has to be below-ground?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Local waterboard will inspect for free.
They came out next day with us. They then let you know who's responsible and tell you what's wrong

If definitely shared, then Water Company should take responsibility. Speak to them, and ask for someone to come out and look.

They will either sort it out or advise, if it does fall to you to sort it out, then they will advise as such, and tell you to get someone in to repair. Would strongly advise you avoid the previous company you used, they're not called 'Dynorob' in the industry without reason....

If stuck, come back and ask again, happy to advise further.

Sponsored Links
I guess that you might be able to build a soakaway in your back garden, but that is going to cost you money/disruption.

Perhaps tell your local water company that you are happy with the idea of them doing that (given that it is shared). I am only guessing, but I suspect that they would rather not have clean rain water running through their system.

Again, I am only guessing...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back