Drain not blocked but not draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

I have an outdoor drain that has a rainwater gutter pipe and the output of a washing machine going into it which only drains very slowly; so slowly that it overflows before it drains. It has a leaf cover, but I removed it thinking the drain was blocked but I'm not so sure it is. I tried shoving my hand down and removed the odd leaf, then tried a hose and even a pressure washer, as well as two bottles of industrial drain unblocker (the kind you mix together to activate). However there's been no change. I'm wondering if this is an installation problem as the pipe for the washing machine ran to a further away drain when we moved in and I'm thinking this might be why. I'm just trying to find out if this is possible to know whether I should stop wasting my time trying to unblock it.

If it helps, I tried sticking a chimney sweeping rod kit down there too (which had a end on it for drains) but I can't get it down as the pipe seems to make some crazy tight bends.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all -

I'm wondering if this is an installation problem as the pipe for the washing machine ran to a further away drain when we moved in and I'm thinking this might be why. I'm just trying to find out if this is possible to know whether I should stop wasting my time trying to unblock it.

Thanks
Sounds like the w/m is going into a rainwater drain that goes to a soakaway. Re instate the w/m to the original drain, which is probably a proper foul sewer drain.

Sponsored Links
Gulleys can go into soakaways or lead to the main drain, the OP needs to come back with further info.

It may be that the pipe underground has fractured or otherwise failed

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back