Drain Rats/Mice/Smells - Big Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little history - Last year May 2013 I had some extension works to extend our kitchen/diner and put in a central heating system through out the house (previously had storage heaters).

New pipes were put in place, a new man hole was put in our back garden for access (previously shared neighbors man hole), the old redundant pipes were blocked off and all seemed to be fine.

However very soon after the works were completed (July 2013) within weeks we had a stale smell coming in from the newly created bathroom and in our utilities area.

A month into it and the smells were strong enough to get the whole ground floor to stink.

We have had traps rechecked/swapped and recently CCTV drain checks (my own costs), however nothing was found to indicate what or where the smell was coming from.
The only thing we were able to identify and say with confidence is that we have a rat problem now as there was rat feces located in the suspended floor/insulation near the kitchen/bathroom area. In the 3 years I lived in this house, prior to the extension there were no rat issues and the scratches and smells are only coming out from the bathroom and utilities area in the kitchen.

The walls where the sink and washing machine are located have some holes in them, which I believe was for the plumbing however the smell only seems to be exiting from behind the washing machine area and not the sink.

Biggest Problem - It is a 'friend' who has carried out the work and I have given him until now to rectify the problems and clearly 9 months hasn't been sufficient to do get to the cause even after multiple visits.
I obviously can go to building control and make a complaint but I do not want to take that route for obvious reasons.

What others routes do I have as I really need this resolved and so far no one has been able to find the route cause....?

Sponsored Links
According to the CCTV guys the smell was from the rats urine...

There are 2 different smells. One stale (rats urine) and the other eggy/drainy smell

Not sure about the rats urine but the eggy smell is Hydrogen Sulphide, found in drains, not pleasant stuff to say the least. I'd look at getting the drains smoke tested, which will reveal any leaks/breaks in the pipework, and armed with the results from that decide what further action (if any) you want/need to take....

Sponsored Links
If your new bathroom has a shower tray with a waste directly into the floor the rats will use this as a hotel. But only if tour shower tray is on legs. Seen this loads of times and the stink is horrid.
Jeff

Hi Jeff - how do you mean?
The shower tray is not on legs and there is no access for the rats to get into the bathroom as such but like the kitchen there are gaps behind the sink and shower that are small enough to allow air through...

Just a quick update - I have got ridden of the rats by using rat poison and for the past 2 months have not heard or smelt anything related to rats however we still get the eggy smells not as often now but at times it blows up to stink the whole house (has happened 3 times in the last 2 months).

However since getting rid of the rats we now have had an issue in the past month or so with mouths coming out from the gaps in the floor!

Why are you not filling these holes with filler, cement or foam?

Tony

I would also be looking at the ventilation arrangements for the drains, if you are getting smells in the house still, then something isn't right. Clearly you still have a leak whereby gases from the drains can escape into the house, and for this to happen (rather than these gases vent to atmosphere) would suggest a ventilation (or lack of!) problem.

a new man hole was put in our back garden for access (previously shared neighbors man hole), the old redundant pipes were blocked off and all seemed to be fine.

Biggest Problem - It is a 'friend' who has carried out the work ....?
I`ll bet the old pipes connected to a vent somewhere. Did the friend do the roof and leadwork too ?

Right here is the drain CCTV footage - http://youtu.be/ER7J5CnGgOo

The pics of the work - Pre, During and Post works can be found here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ma8t1tuzfeacswl/AACN0VfjyB0dp0v9Bcs1OTG8a?dl=0

According to the report - at 5mins 20 seconds there seems to be rat marks and a potential hole.
I have had a look at the CCTV footage and know that the way they connected the black pipe to the main sewer pipe (as per pics) was not done in the best manner, so not sure if its more to do with a bad job then rat marks?

Also from my own viewings at 6min 20seconds - On the middle bottom of the circle, there is some black which looks like a hole? This could be just a reflection though....

Couple of questions:

1) Where was the shared manhole and what was done to it?

2) In your album what is the void at the top right in picture 12

3) Picture 4 shows a redundant lateral blocked with newspaper, it also appears at 1 min 52 in the video - is this under the new extension?

4) I assume the chamber in the video @ 0:32 is the new chamber?

5) The defect at 4:42 looks like a bodged lateral - a hole cut into the pipe in an attempt to make a lateral connection. Any idea what this is connected too?

6) Your pictures 49, 54 & 55 - is this how the appliances are connected now?

All timings are on the youtube video not on the original survey footage

Thank you for your response.

1. The shared manhole was initially in the neighbors garden. The neighbors I believe have built over it with garden turf.

2. That is the main drain line that goes through all the houses

3. Correct - it is under the new extension and we have been advised by the builders an orange bung is stuck in there to cap it off.

4. I believe so although not 100% sure

5. Picture 29 shows the connection. This connects to the washing machine, Sink, Dish Washer and Vent for the boiler.

6. Picture 50 is how it is setup now

Ref your replies:

2 - the public sewer

Why does it appear as a void inside your extension?
Does your new access chamber sit over the public sewer?

5. - the lateral

Your photo isn't very clear - can you tell if the connection is made using a strap boss onto the main foul run?

6. appliance connections

Do all of your appliances drain via traps, Including your boiler condensate drain connection?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back