Drain unblocking help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We've had slow moving drainage at our kitchen sick for a few months now which has recently been made worse by the Mrs washing out the kids plaster cast moulds! We now have water flowing back in to the sick when the dishwasher drains, which is great!
I've all the pipework off up until late the point the drain vanishes in to the floor and clean it but this made little to no improvement.
I sent the Mrs to Grahams today to ask them for some industrial drain unblocked thinking that if it won't move the plaster it may move what was making the water drain slowly before this disaster but they said there isn't such a thing?

Can anymore offer any advice? Apart from divorce.....

Sponsored Links
Drain snake as a first attempt (and makes sure the Mrs clears the blockage - that way she might stop washing plaster down the drain!)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/drain-unblocker/11325

If that doesn't work then step it up a gear
http://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rospimatic-auto-feed-drain-cleaner-8mm-x-7-5m/70226

Then, as a next step
http://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-r600-drain-cleaner-accessory-pack-110v/64611

Don't start pouring strong acidic drain clearing product down the drain - potentially a nasty chemical reaction with plaster

Typical 'Mrs': as long as it's gone from their sight, it's no longer their concern :cautious:! My SO lives with a plumber (me) and knows exactly what happens "behind the scenes" yet she still manages to regularly block all waste traps in the house and eventually the chamber under the kitchen floor... boy, am I glad I included an accessible double-sealed cover when I tiled it :sick:

If that doesnt work get a plumber or dyno rod but they are dear,leave the cleaners alone cos
They can be dangerous to anyone working on the drain,best of luck Bob

Sponsored Links
I bought the snake thing today but it goes down about a meter under the floor and then stops dead, I rammed it in and out a few times and got a sort of jelly like substance back nothing like plaster etc, I kept going but it didn't feel like I was making any real progress. Is there nothing else I can try before a big bill from dynorod?

If you need to get someone in, then look for a local independent contractor, and get a fixed price before they start. I would avoid the national companies like the plague!

I've got one of these plungers and I did try it but I just couldn't seal the other sink up and the over flow well enough to give it the necessary pressure, as it may well fully or partly do the job

Got 7 meters of wire snake down the pipe but the water still doesn't move. How can this be?

Possibilities:

1) The blockage is further than 7m down the pipe
2) The spring has gone through the blockage but not cleared it (happens with soft blockages)
3) The spring has folded back on itself and you've not actually gone as far you think.

Have you looked for external inspection covers?

I can't see any inspection chambers however the perimeter off of house has a path with with patio slabs

Main causes of blockage in kitchen sink is usually grease, leave overnight before pouring 5-6 kettles of boiling water down with a squirt of washing up liquid and see if it improves.

Hot water didn't work so I bought some sink unblocker as a last ditch effort to deal with it. The stuff was called Rhino but is the same as one shot. Put 250ml down as directed but it doesn't seem to have worked after 12 hours, will try some more later as directed if the water level drops and allows but it doesn't look good!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back