Drainage for outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We have recently completed building a summerhouse about 40m away from the main house. It is on a slight downward slope (summerhouse lower and main house higher) but not by much, half a meter tops. We were thinking about getting a macerator pump that feeds into a sump then back upto the main drain of the house. This is a father son project and I was discussing which pipe we are going to use for the drainage from summerhouse to main house. This is where my father mentioned to use 32mm waterpipe (the blue stuff) and he said diameter is not an issue as it will be pumped. Now im no plumber but I have been to Greece on holiday a few times and they have drainage problems with 40mm waste pipe i.e. dont flush the bog paper. Would it be better to use 40mm waste pipe or maybe even bigger?

The pumps we were looking at are made by pegler. The trench has been dug and we are ready to install the drainage. I just want to make sure were going down the right track.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
40m is a long way, you need to ensure the pump is able to pump waste away, what's their maximum discharge length.

Check the manufacturer instruction on what can be use for discharge pipe.
Durapipe might be best.

Don't use blue pipe, the regulation doesn't allow it.

Daniel.

If the waste is being shredded prior to being pumped then smaller bore pipework can be used. Black is the correct colour for wastewater pumping mains though. As said, ensure the pump chosen is capable of handling sewage and can move it the distance required.

Read the MI`s of your choosen pump for maximum pumping distance and the fall on the pipe required, think you are in for a shock! Also there are regs for the depth the pipe must be in the ground and what sort of pipe can be used.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice :) We have now decided to get a proper drainage connection rather than messing about with these pumps. It turns out the main drain isn't as far from the house as we first thought.

Thanks for the advice :) We have now decided to get a proper drainage connection rather than messing about with these pumps. It turns out the main drain isn't as far from the house as we first thought.

Done properly, it's fit and forget. Pumps are always a necessary evil in these situations, if you can utilise gravity its by far the best way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back