Drainage Guys... quick question re: vent pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I quoted for a bathroom today. It is an 1930's terrace with a bathroom at the front and a cast iron soil. They also want a back bedroom converted to another bathroom. There is a cast iron vent pipe there too and a manhole nearby. I started talking about a 'dig up' etc, but they then cut me off and told me that the previous plumber said that this vent pipe can be used for the new soil - obviously replaced in plastic at ground level. This stumped me a bit, cos I generally don't do dig ups and re lays, but I am sure this isnt right. No one knows what state it is in for a start seeing as it has never been used. They looked at me as if I was trying to pad the job out a bit.

I am right, am I not ??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You need to know more about the drain system before starting to use for soil a pipe that previously merely a vent.

Also, bear in mind that adding a toilet is notifiable work and subject to Building Control.

I cant think of a reason why you wouldnt be able to use it .

I would have a look to make sure the bends into the manhole dont have any dodgy angles etc to restrict the flow of solid matter

It will still remain active as a vent pipe .

Its just that in earlier years , soil pipes and vent pipes were seperate .

Sponsored Links
Robert too said:
I cant think of a reason why you wouldnt be able to use it .
Really? Well I can. I can imagine a vent pipe with bends at dodgy angles that might restrict the flow of solid matter.

Robert too said:
I would have a look to make sure the bends into the manhole dont have any dodgy angles etc to restrict the flow of solid matter
Well wha'd'ya know - there is such as thing as coincidence. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back