Drainage issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a long standing issue with a certain drain due (I believe) to a lazy builder.

I estimate that the 4" pipe length is approx 11m (that's the distance measured above ground so might be slightly longer). One end has the kitchen waste going into it. The other end goes into an inspection chamber in the garden where it joins into the shared pipe.

From the one end, I can rod about 4m before I get stuck. From the inspection chamber, I can rod about 7m, so that identifies the problem area fairly well.

I've used a cheap endoscope camera connected to my phone to have a bit of a look up the pipe but I keep getting water or gunk on the end of the camera and it goes all blurry. However I can't really see a blockage as such. Coming from the 4m end I've managed a better view but I get to what appears to be a sharp bend and I can't get the rod to go round the bend. Coming from the other way I keep ending up with it blurry before the rod gets completely stuck and sounds like it is hitting a bend again.

The problem is made worse by the fact that this point in the pipe is underneath our conservatory, so I can't easily just dig it up.

I've had professional jetters in to clear it out before but it just blocks up again. They also couldn't get their jet to go down the pipe, it got stuck in the same place and they were worried about smashing the pipe if they tried any more than they did. It did clear out a load of grey gunk though and then was flowing freely.

So I'm looking to try and sort it more permanently.

My two queries I guess are...

Any tips to keep the camera clean when pushing it up the pipe? (I have it taped to the rods)

Am I looking at having to take up part of the floor and put a rodding eye in on that bend?

My big worry is that they really bodged it and left some kind of U bend in the pipe. The point where the rods get stuck and I presume the blockage is, is where there end of the 4" pipe used to be and the kitchen waste used to drop into there, so I hope they didn't just extend it leaving that part in place.

Sponsored Links
Did the jetting company offer a CCTV service? If the pro jetters can't move the obstruction along you may have to dig up or find alternative route whichever is the cheaper option.

Blup

Last edited:
Did the jetting company offer a CCTV service? If the pro jetters can't move the obstruction along you may have to dig up or find alternative route whichever is the cheaper option.

Blup
The pro blockers managed to clear the obstruction last time and got it flowing, but couldn't get the jet to go round the bend. However it just blocks up again quickly.

They did offer a CCTV service but it was very expensive (comparatively to the jetting).

Diverting the drain now would be difficult. A path would need pulling up as would part of the Indian some patio and then the garden would need digging up. All possible but a lot of hard work.

The floor in the conservatory could be dug through but I doubt I can remove 45cm square tiles without damaging them and I doubt I can find the same now (not knowing where they were from and it being 12 years ago) - so it would probably result in removing the lot and retiling the floor. I also don't know how hard it would be to replace the bend without being able to move the pipes at all.

Mine was blocked by small pieces of cast iron pipe that were left in the pipework after swapping out for plastic, these were mostly removed first time but some remained and the build up of tissue etc was rapid. After several more attempts they were cleared and intercepted. Every last piece needs to go for flow to be maintained.

Try the local Council, many offer an unblocking service at competitive rates, you might get a different result.

Blup

Sponsored Links
I could get a pro in again at £60, but I'm fairly sure that in a few months it will begin to block again. Rodding and plungering will work for a few months until it blocks fully again.

Do you think it would be worth spending the money on a pressure washer and jetting it myself on a regular basis? I bought a jetting pipe for my previous pressure washer only to find that the washer had split so I wasn't getting full power. The thing was useless but I presume that was the low pressure? Would something like the £90 titan washer from Screwfix (140 bar) be up to shifting blockages?

A domestic pressure washer won't work from 4 metres let alone 7, you could get the drain extension kit but it didn't work for me. Your problem is accessing the bend (which I assume is vertical not a corner).

Blup

A domestic pressure washer won't work from 4 metres let alone 7, you could get the drain extension kit but it didn't work for me. Your problem is accessing the bend (which I assume is vertical not a corner).

Blup

I bought a jetting hose for my Karcher a few months back to have a go which gives me the length required. It is very difficult to go up from the 7m end though as you have to basically turn right whilst the pipe is wanting to bend left. I've managed to do it with the camera attached to the rods so I can see and twist it at the right moment.

The 4m distance is easier to access and just a straight run to the awkward part. I imagine the awkward part is a drop down and a right angle bend at the same time or even worse would be if they had left the u bend on and bodged the new pipe on.

If the Pro's cant get their Jetter past the issue, then I suspect you will have no hope with a domestic Karcher. A 1/2" jetter hose should go round a 4" drain bend without issue, we've jetted smaller diameter pipework before now and cleared it.

First thing I'd suggest is getting it CCTV surveyed, possibly send the camera up, if nothing is found/can be seen, get them to jet it again, then put camera back up. Only thing it can be is a damaged or bodged up bit of pipework, and only long term solution is going to be to dig down, and replace the offending section.

I need to check, was the Conservatory built whilst you have lived in the property? (Any possibility a manhole has been buried under the floor?)

I've booked in the professionals to come and clear it tomorrow. Maybe I'll just take it as an annual cost

Tot up what the annual cost is likely to be over 5 and 10 years and, if it comes to more than a proper repair/replacement, it's cheaper to go for the repair/replace. Factor in the fact that getting it jetted each year also causes a bit of disruption whilst being done and, if the condition slowly gets worse each year, it will cost a lot more in the long run.
It's false economy to put a bucket under a dripping tap when a new washer will solve the problem.

I was called to a 'hidden' manhole under a conservatory yesterday, nothing a drain camera and 200 bar, 4000 PSI jetter couldn't sort out.

Andy

Let us know how you get on.

Blup
It was sorted in less than 5 minutes. It is a van mounted machine, an engine runs. They pushed the pipe down and a load of grey and black water came out at the other end, then it ran fine.

They couldn't get the jetter to go round the bend though, he reckoned that the gulley is either still there or there is a series of sharp bends.

He stayed for a few more minutes to ensure it was all clean.

£60 a time for this service.

Last one was at least 2 years ago, but I've had to unblock in-between as well.

So now a toss up between taking all the tiles up and digging/cutting a hole - altering the pipework, then tiling the floor again, or just clearing it out every couple of years.

They did make it look very easy but I know their jetter would be much better than any I would buy. It does make me wonder if a 140bar pressure washer with a drain jetting pipe would have cleared it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back