Drainage Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need advice regarding the drainage problem I have in my back garden. House was built approx 17 years ago, and the soil surrounding the whole estate is clay, which was dug up to lay foundations then deposited back down. Due to this any kind of heavy or prolonged period of rain means the grass can be sodding and spongy for days after. We had landscape gardeners in to do a job on our drive, and they put a soak-away in to sort out drainage around that area, and I wish to try the same in the back garden. The problem I have is I am not 100% sure how they completed it. I know they dug a deep hole, filled with rubble, and trenches leading into it, filled with type 1. My questions are firstly what dimensions should I dig the trenches and hole, and secondly how do I complete the job, sand on top of the type 1 then soil? And how do I cover the top of the hole as I assume covering with type 1 will just filter through the holes created between the rubble. This is a big pain as I cannot do anything with the garden and any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Stewart

Sponsored Links
herringbone design!!

one main trench leading from high to low in a diagonal with trenches leading into it.

i done mine to 600mm depths with 10mm screened chippy's base then 80mm feild drain's(laid into hopper and rainwater drain) with a loamy topsoil (clay removed, expensive part as i removed the whole turf area then relayed) now have lush green grass and a useable lawn.

search for herringbone drainage in google and the world is your oyster!

spent 4 month's doing similiar but replaced the top clay layer with loamy soil to allow the water to reach the drains!!

Thanks for your reply. I had looked at all the different types (French drains etc.) and did feel a herringbone system would be one I would try, however I'm quite keen to go with the type that the gardeners had used, simply due to cost and minimal effort. Although I would like to improve the garden, I'm not looking into relaying any turf simply. Its mainly so that I can plant any plants without drowning them, or being able to cut the grass without having to wait a few days after rain as ground is still soft. Is there anyway of doing this and using moss and weed killer to get a better looking patch of grass without having to relay any turf?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back