Drainage queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We've moved into a house which is not connected to the main drains or sewers, so we have a few queries about how things work.

Luckily they do work for the most part, so my questions are mostly about maintenance.

1. the down pipes from the gutters feed into underground drains, since we're not connected to the main drains, I presume those in turn feed into a soakaway somewhere.

When we moved in, a few of those drains were filled with soil and leaves etc which I have cleaned out, but all of them have a "u-bend" type trap in them, and there is a significant amount of gravel at the bottom of each.

It (obviously) doesn't block the water draining away, so really my question is do I need to clear that as well, or is it actually deliberate that it's there to act as a filter of sorts to stop the soil and leaf material getting down the pipe into the soakaway and blocking it?

2. The drain from the kitchen & utility room sinks feed into a "chamber" out in the driveway behind the house. That chamber also takes the run off of rainwater from the driveway, via a gully.

Again I assume that chamber in turn feeds into a soakaway.

It has never flooded, but there is quite a bit of soil and leaf debris etc as well as gravel at the bottom of it (see picture).

There is easy access via a grating & I know I should regularly clear the soil and leaves etc from the chamber to prevent it flooding, but same question as before, ie is the gravel there deliberately to act as a filter and should I leave it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• 20160315_124531726_iOS.jpg
    20160315_124531726_iOS.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 20160315_124519066_iOS.jpg
    20160315_124519066_iOS.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
Just to add, that chamber is probably 3 feet deep, maybe more, and there is a good foot or more of crud at the bottom of it.

The previous owner was an older lady who only lived here part time, so I'd guess maintenance was low down the list of priorities over the past 2 or 3 year.

In general the gulleys (U bends) should all be kept clear otherwise in a torrential down pour, they might not be able to take the flow of water and the thing floods. The easiest way to do it is to use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner just to suck it dry and pour a bucket of clean water in to it. The Kitchen and utility wastes should go into the septic tank (which you have not mentioned).
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back