Drained Cold Water Tank - No water to taps now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have drained my cold water tank in the loft by stopping the input feed. Now I can't get any water to the taps in the batch & sink upstairs, nor the upstairs and downstairs loo.

Could it have pulled crap into the pipe, or could there be a more sinister reason??

Sponsored Links
It may be debris,but it may also be air locked.Try connecting a hose from the cold tap(mains fed) to the hot tap and try back filling to push air out.Not frozen anywhere is it?

No it's not frozen, it was working fine earlier> I've tried back filling via the mixer tap three times. lots of gurgling, but no cold water.

Any other ideas???

Is the hot water tap working on your kitchen sink, if so then leave it open and this should pull the air out of the hot side.

If no hot water to kitchen sink then place your hand under the spout and turn on the hot tap,then slowly open the cold tap forcing cold water up the hot side of the mixer tap. Do this for approx. 30 seconds. Turn off cold water tap and remove your hand, the water flowing should start to come out hot.

Next is to go upstairs and place your hand under the spout of the bath mixer and open the hot side and then the cold. This should push the air out of the tank and get all your taps running again.

Hope that helps

Andy

Sponsored Links
Right, I've switched on all the taps, back filled via the mixer and now I have water to everywhere except the upstairs loo...which strangely is what I was working on!!

I've replaced the syphon, but the Torbeck input feed is barely dribbling in.

Thoughts????

I've bought a new one now and fitted that.

Guess what.....back to no water to the taps. Must be a blockage somewhere. Thanks Andy

Did you drain down the cold water tank, if so then start from top of page and read down.

Andy

I'm still stuck with this one chaps. I have drained the water tank three times now. Once to take the old syphon unit off, then when I fitted the new one and then again when I fitted the new instream valve.

Now I have water to the taps upstairs & downstairs, but a mere dribble to both the upstairs & downstairs loo. I have back blasted the water via the kitchen mixer tap half a dozen times.

Worse still, although it only dribbles in, the brand new valve doesn't stop when the cistern is full. It just keeps filling. I've read the instructions plenty of times and I cant see the issue.

Still nedd help if anyone is out there???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back