Drained system now boiler playing up - need urgent advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

i put some sludge remover in my sealed system approx end of Jan.

Totally forgot i put it in until today.

Had heating working fine until early April time, heating not been on since.

Water working no problem up until i started draining this morning.

So drained system to remove sludge etc

Started to refill system (had the filling tap open for about 45 seconds

fired up boiler and put CH on to get the pressure guage moving (it only reads accurate after a drain down once heating on and all rads are warm then the pressure guage reacts.)

Only the bottom of the bathroom rad got warm and loads of gurgling noises coming from the pipes.

Have spent the last 3 hours gboing through this procedure of adding water, heasting, bleeding air from rads, trying to heat, adding water etc etc

At a point now where

no more air from rads, however onlyu water dribbles from 2 off them.

But i have stopped now because the boiler is playing up.

When turned on at the mains the pump/fan kicks straingt in and stays on constantly and LOUD!

When i turn the CH on all the lights turn on in sequence as normal however no heat and after 1 minute or so all lights go off apart from the "demand for CH light, (rad symbol)

The hot water comes out hot then gos luke warm, then heats up again, then luke warm, it will not stay red hot.

Pump and or pump fan still on loud and constant even when there is no demand for any heatwater at all.

Loads of gurgling in the pipes going into the bottom of the boiler and if i pop down the front panel there is a silver box in the middle that seems to be gurgling loudly.
But no more air is coming out of the rads.

Tried the FAQ on here about bleeding CH pump put when i undo the pump screw no air nor dribbles come out.

What can i do to sort this? Need hot water at least!

Why is my boiler acting strange just because i emptied the system?

Its a Vailiant Turbomax Pro 24e

Please help.

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Is the good lady now on yer case? :D

Have you released air from the auto air vent above pump?

isnt she ever...............

auto air vent? not sure where to find this.

If i post a picture up of the pump area would that help?

Auto air vent sits on top of pump , has what looks like a tyre valve dust cover , just slacken off until all air is eliminated.

Sponsored Links
found that

let air out.

trying CH now

when i call for CH from the stat it sounds like the an almighty gush of water from the boiler.

then all lights come on (heat demand, fan/flue ok/ gas valve and ignition

then all go back off again in approx 1m

lots of clicks and clunks

but still the same

Keep on kepin on , still an air issue , loosen slotted screw on front of pump head.

also fan when it tries to heat up rads makes a strange sound like it speeds up for a couple os secs then slow then super fast

then heating shuts off

if i slacken auto valve when boiler on and heating on there are gurgles and exhales of air.

should i leave it slackened off or just for a few secs at a time?

Just leave it loose till all air is expelled (switching from HW to heating) , topping up pressure as necessary.

Just leave it loose till all air is expelled (switching from HW to heating) , topping up pressure as necessary.

ok done that a few times, added a bit more water now

when hot water on it still fluctuates between hot and luke warm but when turned off the fan goes off with it now

when heating on still lots of gurgling from the pipes going into the bottom of the boiler, then fan still whining and still all lights go off after 1 min apart from the boiler knowing CH is being called for.

More water?

also when CH turned off the fan and gurgling from the boiler still continues until mains power is cut to it

Still air issue?

**edit - stops after about 3 minutes. Not normal though**

sorted it - just as gasafeengineer said

just keep going

bled pump, aut valve, filled, bled for another 2 hours and all back to normal now.

thanks for your help, sorry for the ramblings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back