drained system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone- and thanks in advance!

I am moving to a new house on monday. The house has been empty for a while, and when we viewed it all the taps etc were wrapped in tissue paper with a sticker on saying (from memory) that the system has been drained and to call in a plumber before using anything.

Is refilling all the pipework something I can do myself? If so, is it simply a case of turning everything on, then turning on the stopcock and waiting till it runs smooth/clear?

Is there likely to be any detergent/chemicals left in the pipe rather than them being empty (thinking something like line cleaner in pubs!)?

The house is pretty modern (1987) and everything looks in good order.

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a blag or the plumber has left a pipe open somewhere.

Not heard of this so eager to learn if wrong :D

well the house in in Helmshore in lancs, so not too far away if you're really eager :LOL:

My guess is when the house was repossessed they drained the system to avoid having water standing in the pipes for a long time.

Prob drained down in case of any frost. Depends what system is installed ,if storage tanks in attic just close all valves at tank open main Vv test upto tank then open other Vvs checking 4 leaks as you go .If heating system drained will have to add an inhibitor .I would run system for a wee while drain down to flush and then add inhibitor .Depends how long system empty sometimes get sticking ball Vvs.Better if there are two of you to check system .

Sponsored Links
Just to try set Craigs curiosity at rest according to united utilities it is pretty common for this to happen, and the person I spoke to said they just turn off the tap at the stopcock and run all the taps etc till nothing comes out. A reverse of this should sort it out with no probs.

Cheers

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back