draining a system boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some of your expert advice please. Just moved into our new place. System boiler with a hot water cylinder. The radiators have been changed but i want to put some TRV's on them.

How do i drain down the system. Previous place had a combi and i just isolated the heating flow and return and used a drainoff. Do i do something similar here??

Advice and tips appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if by system you mean pressurised then , Yes close down auto air vents release pressure and do one valve at a time and there should be no need to do a full drain down...

its gravity fed ( i think). System boiler downstairs with a hot water cylinder. Pipes from this go into the loft to a couple of tanks

Was ok in last house with the combi. Just need some help with this. Do i have to drain down the whole system to change all the trv's???

Sponsored Links
The term System boiler refers to a pressurized boiler what you have is a standard boiler. Better to just fully drain it down. There is a way to do it without draining using bungs but thats not really for diy

Not as much fun as snatching them and being the wrong thread.. :oops: :cry:

Tell me how to use bungs. I feel pretty confident.

Dan. how were you able to change all those TRV valves without draining down

Twas a sealed system so everything naturally holds back under vacumn (although this was a four zone system which made things a little tricky)

I use a Dewalt battery powered hoover and work effing quickly.

With bungs you blocked the feed and vent pipe in the attic then you generate a vacumn in the system by draining off (remembering to tighten up the point at which you drained).

Close off the lockshield side of the rad (counting the turns needed). This can only be done one rad at a time and you always get a bit of seepage so this needs to be taken up. Never try and do more than one vavle at a time.

This is a simple enough process; and I have left a system under vacumn for over an hour (bought the wrong valve :rolleyes: ) but you need a game plan and to know what you are doing otherwise things could go horribly wrong.

The more someone proclaims their competence/confidence, the more I worry. There is a thin line between confident and cocky ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back