Draining Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hubby knocked bracket off radiator whilst doing DIY (lol) and radiator valve started leaking, to cut a long story short we have decided now is the time to replace our old imperial radiators so until plumber can come and do this for us and to stop the leak - hubby has drained central heating.

My question is should i now turn our back boiler off - as far as i know it has a pilot light on all the time you see.

also when i went to plug my immersion heater in it no longer appears to be working - and yet i only had it put in 10 months or so ago - any ideas???

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

OK, you must turn off the boiler :eek: Without any water in the CH circuit it will over-heat and can crack the main HE. The boiler will be then dangerous and a costly replacement....

Check the fuse next to your HW tank for the immersion ;)

Thanks for your reply.

I turned off the boiler immediately - hopefully no major damage has occurred as pilot light was on for 24 hrs before i did this.

Managed to find the problem with the immersion - it had tripped it's fuse. This is now fixed.

Thanks once again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back