Draining hot water cylinder???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some help would be appreciated. I`m fitting a new basin, wc, and bath. The cold water supply was easy to isolate however the hot water supply to the basin and bath seems a bit tricky. There are no service valves or any other valves between the cylinder and bathroom. The supply runs from the top of the water cylinder. I have turned off the boiler. Would I need to drain the complete water cylinder to stop the hot water supply to the bathroom? thx for your help?

Sponsored Links
No.

You will need to drain the cold water storage in the loft. Just turn of the mains water or tie up ball valve.

Open hot and cold taps to drain quicker. Once water drained and stopped coming out of taps go for it. ( Hot water cylinder will remain full except at the very top).

Once you have altered pipework and fitted iso valves fill cold water storage tank in loft back up. Dont turn taps back on until full to avoid possible airblock.

Sponsored Links
Why is that "picky? I thought it a valid observation that required saying.

Some help would be appreciated. I`m fitting a new basin, wc, and bath. The cold water supply was easy to isolate however the hot water supply to the basin and bath seems a bit tricky. There are no service valves or any other valves between the cylinder and bathroom. The supply runs from the top of the water cylinder. I have turned off the boiler. Would I need to drain the complete water cylinder to stop the hot water supply to the bathroom? thx for your help?

There is no Isolation valve on the cylinders Cold Feed?

I think you may be looking for a valve to isolate the hot water, whereas if you isolate the water entering the cylinder, then no hot water can be delivered.

You need to drain nothing at all, but if the isolation valve fails just pull the pressure from another point and work freely.

Dave

Gave it a go today. It worked sort of. While working upstairs I had to keep two hot water taps open down stairs otherwise hot water will slowly start returning to the pipework upstairs. It gave me enough time to replace bath taps. Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back