Drains etc.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house is a 1960's semi -with the usual manhole cover inspection chamber in the driveway.
There are two grids/drains, one at the side of the house from the bathroom/toilet, and one at the back of the house at the kitchen wall. This one is fed by the sink and washing machine.

Recently when the washing machine empties, it overflows the drain and runs down through the garden, I have poked around with a stick, and it seems when there is no discharge from the washer, the water level in the grid pipe is about 18 ins below. I don't know if this is the normal level.

There are lots of trees around, so it could be leaves, or moss off the gutters.
or? The water table has also risen a lot in the last 6 or7 years.

I am frightened that if this happens in the winter and it ices up there will be more problems.

Advice please. :confused:

Sponsored Links
At risk of stating the obvious here, but you have a partial blockage.
The first thing I'd do is to see that the gulley where the washer empties into is fully clear......unfortunately this means getting a (gloved) hand down there, or a wet vacuum if you have one. Its amazing how much mud and crud can collect down there.
If still no joy, its a case of lifting the manhole covers, and using drain rods to unblock the pipe that leads from the gulley to that chamber.
John :)

Kitchen drains usually block with fat deposits, you could try boiling water [soapy]down it to see if it clears.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back