Drains - to map or not to map

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are soon to start getting quotes for our extension. I have been trying to plan the build on paper first, so that I know what work I am expecting to be quoted for and give the builder a clear idea of what I want them to do. One of the sketchiest parts so far is the drains and sewers:

I have a map showing the public sewers and surface water points. However, these stop at the end of the adopted road. We are then the first house on the "private" road.

As we are moving both the kitchen and bathroom and adding a substantial new roof, it is a pretty important detail (I think). We do have a couple of manholes along the side of the house, but the neighbour thinks there is also a sewer run through the back gardens.

I considered getting this mapped by a local drainage firm. This will set me back over £200. One part of me is telling me that I should get this done as I will make the money back, because the builder won't have to add as much "contingency" into his quote (as he will see exactly what groundwork needs doing) However, I am also wondering if it really is necessary and if some basic investigations myself could give a clear enough idea?

What do you think? Sorry for the essay!

Sponsored Links
Why don't you map them for yourself for free by following all the water/sewage routes away from your house?

If there is a sewer around, it will have periodic manholes for rodding.

Pay the £200 and get a DVD with report of your drains. It can take 10 years before there is a problem, thats when your stuck with a blocked drain/manhole and not knowing where to access the problem.

I see it all the time, people never think about the drains and the problems that may come.

Andy

Why don't you map them for yourself for free by following all the water/sewage routes away from your house?

That's the problem- I can't work out where the rainwater goes (downpipes go straight into the ground). The only manholes around don't seem to carry the sewerage - only the kitchen sink waste.

Sponsored Links

That's the problem- I can't work out where the rainwater goes (downpipes go straight into the ground). The only manholes around don't seem to carry the sewerage - only the kitchen sink waste.

Well here is your mistake which for some reason the forum 'experts' have failed to noitice - kitchen waste goes down the same sewer that takes toilet waste. Flush your lav and look down that manhole.

Maybe the rainwater goes into a soak away? In time you will most likely work it out on your own.

That's why you pay for drain surveyors to do it! Never heard of electro location surveys?

FMT this is DIY forum for people wishing to do some DIY.
You got a real bee in your bonnet lately wavetrain, you seem to wish to halt anyone asking anything that isn't acutely DIY? Why do you have such a problem with this?

OK DIY effort so far:

Key: Blue solid = surface water drains
Blue hollow- manholes
Green = rainwater into ground
Brown = SVP or outside tap /w/m drain
Grey= public sewer/surface covers

I have established that the 2 access points (indicated by hollow blue) at the side are for rain/surface water by pouring water down the drain in the drive and the drain on the right of the shaded blue section. The manhole to the right is in the way of where some new foundations are and will need moving! In the absence of rain today, I will make a dangerous assumption that the rainwater also flows into these drains.

The top grey manhole is surface water (according to my water searches) and the bottom is the sewerage. I now need to establish how the sewerage gets into the network.

FMT this is DIY forum for people wishing to do some DIY.
Is it :confused: I thought it was a forum to enable people wishing to DIY to find out how it should be done properly from those who know :!:

Richy C, my point, as I am sure you realised, concerned the suggestions made to the OP that he should pay someone else to do the work which is DIYable.

The idea of getting someone else to do something that you should make the effor to do yourself was aired on the Simpsons in one episode. You all must remember when Homer became Mayor or Head of the Council or something and had an election catch phrase "Get someone else to do it". There was even a song as well. The result was the town went bankrupt.

As for FMT, he has chronic PMT, and we all feel sorry for his suffering don't we?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back