Draught

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am currently getting a huge draft from the letterbox in our door. We will be getting a new door soon enough so I don't want an expensive solution so I was looking at internal draught excluders (basically another flap with brushes for the inside). The problem I have is the 2 screws that seemingly are what is holding the letterbox in place. I wouldn't be able to fit an excluder as they would be in the way. Can anyone advise me on an alternative? Pics attached
door1.jpg
door 2.jpg

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you buy one that's oversize (wider than the existing slot and the fixing nuts). The curved metal ones stand away on metal side plates, possibly designed to clear nuts like yours. Have a look in hardware shops to see if they have enough clearance.

If you are handy, you can mount a wooden "pictureframe" on the inside of the door, fitting the new letterflap, that is thick enough to project more than the nuts.

Is the spring broken on your existing letterplate? It doesn't look properly shut.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?SearchText=letter+flap

BTW it looks like you have a good panelled wooden door and original letterplate, so advertise it on Freegle or Ebay. A local person wishing to restore their house to original, and throw away their horrible plastic door, will be glad of it. It would also be useful to someone building a shed.

you buy one that's oversize (wider than the existing slot and the fixing nuts). The curved metal ones stand away on metal side plates, possibly designed to clear nuts like yours. Have a look in hardware shops to see if they have enough clearance.

Thank you. The inside gap is 20cm wide, 24 from the edges of the nuts and 7cm high, would any of those in the link you sent be suitable?

looks to me like pretty well all of them

Fit it so the bottom lines up or is below the bottom of the slot, because the original flap will press leters downward

"commercial size" is bigger, if you find one.

example:

Specification

Aperture Size mm 255 x 44mm
App_Timber Yes
Application Timber
Bolt Centres mm 276mm
Length mm 293mm

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...nternal-letter-tidy-flap-293x77mm-gold-761444

Sponsored Links
Simply staple a piece of thick cloth or reverse a piece of long pile carpet over the opening.

on a previous house we had a piece of stiff material, matching the curtains over the door, held by the nuts either side - worked well and allowed letters, by moving out from a seam and slighlty weighted at the bottom with a small rod. It worked well and we had tried those brush things and other options before this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back