Drawing Competition - where do YOU think the studs are!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to wall mount a 12" monitor at head height, ideally just to the left of the doorway, but I can't find the studs anywhere.

When I did this in the bedroom (on a large wall), after a lot of persistance I managed to find them with my B&Q stud finder.

But I keep getting conflicting results here. So I'd like to have an educated guess to give me the least amount of repair afterwards.

Where do YOU think the studs might be!?

Sorry, no 'spot the ball' type prize but you'll be helping me out ;)

Ta

Simon

lounge.JPG

Sponsored Links
Drill a hole through the doorframe and probe with a piece of stiff wire.

It might not have any studs.

Can't you feel any nail-heads with your sensitive fingertips?

p.s. what's the bollard for?

. . . but wouldn't a hole in the door frame be harder to repair than one in the plasterboard?

If there are no studs then I guess I'm screwed?

and the bollard is one of the surround sound speakers!! Not brilliantly placed I'll give you that but the best I could come up with!

Looking at the proportions of the wall, I would agree with JohnD that there probably aren’t any! My guess is there are plates on the walls/ceiling/floor, a frame to form the door opening & a couple of intermediate noggins!

Try tapping with screwdriver, you can hear the difference; works every time for me.

Sponsored Links
When you say 12" monitor do you mean a CRT (heavy) or a flat panel screen? Flat panels that size weigh very little by comparison & you could probably fix the mounting frame directly to the plasterboard using suitable plasterboard plugs. You may even be able to pick up on the centre noggin (assuming there is one!) with the lower fixings but it depends how high you want the screen.

Otherwise cut out a section of the plasterboard full width where you want the screen, fit 2 new noggins between the timber wall & door plates, put the plasterboard back, tape & fill repair the join & screw the monitor frame directly to the new timber noggins.

Can’t find any details of weight or number of mounting points but a typical 14 inch LCD weighs less than 2.5kg; not much really! You would probably fit it direct to the existing plaster board with some decent plugs; as long as it’s not abused by young children.

get a bit of mdf or ply to hold the screen. Finish the edges and paint same colour as the wall. then fix with hollow wall anchors/toggles, then that will spread the load.

Thanks everyone - I'm afraid I've caved and asked my builder to come and sort it for me (probably best based on previous experiences!)

As it's a touch screen it's quite heavy and it's going to get some 'prodding' so want it as stable as possible.

Will let you know what he decides and post a picture of the finished job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back