drawings needed - One Off House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of doing a self build one off house and have been advised that SIPs panels (?) are the best way forward for a cheap and quick result.
Is there anyone out there who would be able to provide a price for doing these. I have been advised to 'shop around' to make sure I get the best deal.
The house will be two storey on a (fairly) flat site and I am hoping it will have three decent sized bedrooms a dining room, front room, kitchen etc etc.
The site is in the garden of my fathers house so has the necessary water and gas close.

I have looked at a few sites and think around 700 square feet is a good size. (is this right??)

I have been advised to use a 'one man band' type person as this will keep costs to a reasonable level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am located in Cardiff (just outside).

Sponsored Links
Do you have planning permission?

You need to get planning consent, then you may or may not need structural design of the foundations (depends on ground conditions) and then you will need the actual b/regs drawings and SAP calculations - plus again any structural design of beams/roof etc.

The b/regs drawings wont necessarily include electric and heating layouts, kitchen/bathroom design or any internal design/decoration specification.

And if you use SIPs, then if there is no existing LABC type approval, then you may need manufacturers design calculations - which may be at odds with the initial design drawings

Then, do you want just drawings, or some management or monitoring of the work to ensure that it is built to the design?

So be sure that you know what you are getting for the quotes you get

woody, this could turn out to be more expensive than I have been led to believe.
I thought I could put up a house that looks like the others in the area and I wouldn't have too much trouble with planning. Probably not as easy as that.
I guess I would need to have management or monitoring as you mention as this a massive step for me. Do you have the necessary insurance cover? I am aware that this may be needed but am not sure.
Many thanks.
Is this something you have done in the past? (as you seem clued up).

Sponsored Links
Cardiff is a bit too far.

But you really need to sort out if you can actually build first. You may want to have an informal chat with the local planners to see if the plot is suitable for development, or if it is a non-starter before you get too involved or engage anyone.

Then be very clear about what you actually want the designer to do - just design or deal with the development as a whole. And make sure he gives you guidance on everything which is required from pre-planning to final hand over, and every likely cost which you will incur from start to finish.

Cardiff is a bit too far.
Blimey, didn't notice that bit, thought you were in Barnstaple for some reason :oops: , a bit far for me too, 300 mile round trip! A bit much for a job where initial discussions with the planners hasn't even taken place yet. Chat with the planners and get a good idea what you want and it may be worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back