Drayton RF3 faulty receiver unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I've been using a Drayton Digistat RF3 system for 10 years. Last week, at the height of the heat spell (July 2010) my underfloor heating was turning itself on without notice or intent by me and wouldn't turn off until I switch the mains off thus cutting power to the SCR system. I then went online at Drayton's and elsewhere to investigate possible cause. I went through the troubleshooting procedure supplied in the pdf downloaded from Drayton's website. I have 2 of these units; the first tested fine with the procedural instructions but the second one didn't. It failed when I got to the following point:
1) Pull down battery unit from transmitter unit and allow the screen to go blank.
2) Turn off power supply to the SCR receiver and leave for 5 seconds. (I did this at the mains)
3) Turn on power to the SCR unit and check red light is on.

At this point, there was no red light at all. Prior to this testing, there was a red light although it was dimming but the green light was also working when the heating came on.
I checked that the wiring at the SCR unit is OK and not loose so I assume that there is a fault with the unit and that it needs replacing. Am I assuming correctly?
If so, can I just replace the receiver unit as it appears to be re-mountable onto the existing wired-up back plate. However, as my old SCR unit is about 10 years old, will a new receiver be compatable and work with the old transmitter. (I don't particularly want to replace both unnecessarily). This is because I notice that the new models are called Digistat+3RF as opposed mine which is just Digistat 3RF. I have also found it difficult to locate a trader just selling the receiver, they seem to prefer to sell them paired up which is annoying.

Many thanks for your kind help.

Sponsored Links
Drayton changed the frequency used by their wireless stats a few years ago. If your stat uses the old frequency, you will have to buy a complete kit.

Current models run at 433MHz. If you have the instruction leaflet, it will tell you which frequency your model uses.

If you have to get a complete kit, the Honeywell CM921 or CM927 is a better choice.

Since posting my query I've found out that what you've said is correct which is a nuisance :(

If I stick with the new Drayton+RF3 kit, at least I don't need to get someone in to rewire as I understand that you can just clip the new receiver to the wired back plate of the new one. So although I thank you for recommending the Honeywell I'm a little stuck with the Drayton brand unfortunately!

Does anyone know what the difference is when the red light on the Drayton SCR shows:
a) is on continuously (not flashing), and
b) is blinking 2 steady short pulses then with no light for a second and back to the blinking etc.

When the SCR receiver is not in a receiving mode, which of the 2 above should it be?

Sponsored Links
a)this denotes that the scr unit has not recieved a signal from the rf unit (dead batteries)?

b)dying batteries in the rf unit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back