Drill damage to 15mm Gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ripped out my kitchen to make way for it's replacement. I have a lot of prep to do before the fun of fitting the new kitchen.

The previous kitchen was fitted before we owned the house, they did a good job of damaging services. I've uncovered drill damage to the ring main (damaged sheath of all cores of 2.5mm t&e) and also looks as if someone has almost drilled right through the 15mm gas pipe supplying the cooker.

Until I fitted a new bathroom (room above) I wasn't aware the kitchen was serviced by gas. Now that I've ripped the units out I have found a small capped 15mm pipe poking out the wall, following up the wall a drill hole.

I knocked some plaster out and cannot see any piercing or have ever smelt gas, no fixing was in the hole.

What do you suggest?

Sponsored Links
Jesus were you using a Jack Hammer?

Best suggestion I can give you is to donate your tools to charity and pay some one to do the work safely.

Sponsored Links
It wouldn't be too difficult for a gas man to cap the pipe in the wall. There would be a hole in the plaster but if it's behind a unit that's less ag than a hole in the ceiling.
I wouldn't leave the pipe you've shown, live.
And mark the wall to show there's a pipe, for the next kitchen fitter...

Put the drill on the floor.
Now kick the drill over towards me.
Place your hands on your head and very slowly walk over to my colleague who is qualified to carry out these types of operations.

Before you do anything else ring this number 0800 111 999
they will check it for free and cap your meter if it is unsafe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back