Drill guide.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just fitted a couple of security bolts in my patio doors, and I wasn't very happy with the results, since I didn't manage to get the holes (the ones drilled into the edge of the door)entirely true(using 16mm flat wood bit). Are there any jigs or guides one can buy/make to make this easier or do I need more practice?

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

You could try a drill guide like this :

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Drill-Guide-22269.htm

But in my experience they're not much cop really, there is generally still a little 'play' in the construction of something at that price.....and it would be a pain trying to balance that on the edge of a door I'd imagine.

Practice without, the main thing is to be in a comfortable position e.g. not holding the drill high above your head, or, down too low.

You need to be able to see that you're holding & sighting the drill perfectly level & true. Take you time & keep stopping and checking that you're drilling your desired course.

Cheers......Mike.

The bolts (fit them first) usually have a little "pip" in the end to mark the centre of the hole you need. If not, a dab of Engineers Blue (or lipstick, which is a perfect substitute) on the end of the bolt will give you a mark.

An alternative method is to make a smudge of soot on the item with a smoky match or candle; this will be marked where the bolt touches it.

I would always prefer to start with a small pilot hole before enlarging it to the correct size. If you want to make an indentation in the exact centre to stop the pilot drill wandering, a centre-punch or even a small nail will do it.

If the pilot hole is in the correct place, it will lead the final drill onto the same centre.

Some people use masking tape to stop the drill-tip wandering. That is OK on surfaces that you can't centre-punch, like tiles.

edited: Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.

Sponsored Links
Of course you could always just put a washer over the drill bit - if it slides forwards you lower the drill, if it slides back you raise it. ;)

JohnD said:
If not, a dab of Engineers Blue (or lipstick, which is a perfect substitute) on the end of the bolt will give you a mark.
Is there anything else you carry in your tool kit that you maybe want to tell us about? :eek: ;)

but what happens if he gets the lipstick and the engineers blue mixed up?? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back