drill holes in beams for cable routes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to make a start on putting a ring in my new bedroom and this will mean drilling holes in the floor beams.
I understand there is rules governing the size of the hole against the size of the beam but is there anything on where you can and cant drill ?

Sponsored Links
Or get a drill one size smaller that steel conduit and sqeeze it in with a G clamp that way there is no loss in strength I had to do that in older proerties with 4x2 joists and rafters, building control were delighted
Devlin

so you're saying that driving a wedge into timber is a good thing and isn't at all the way that they used to split logs to make planks? :rolleyes:

if you drive a piece of steel into a piece of wood it's going to stress the wood

a steel plate screwed either side with a hole and a coupler / brass bush affair would be better as the plates would add strength to the hole..

Sponsored Links
Going to make a start on putting a ring in my new bedroom and this will mean drilling holes in the floor beams.
I understand there is rules governing the size of the hole against the size of the beam but is there anything on where you can and cant drill ?
What did you tell Building Control would be the way you'd ensure compliance with the Building Regulations when doing the electrical work?

True, but the guy has built an extension, with a new bathroom, and if the bigger picture is notifiable (like an extension is) then all the controlled services in it (like electrics) are notifiable - 2B only applies when the work is ONLY what's in 2B.

So I was curious to know how he got that work past LABC if he didn't know where to drill joists, as that implies he's working without any useful reference guides.

Not sure why you felt you had to vote my question down, RF. :(

Ok , i'm more than a little confused so let me start at the beginning and you can help / take the pee as and when needed :D

We've built a 2 bed extension . Applied for all the correct building planning / regs as you should and off went my builder.
The builders spec was to give me a dry shell. So thats every thing except plumping , sparkes , plastering that sort of thing.
Plumbing i'm ok on and my last house i did the exstenion on that to . This was checked by a sparky and all ok and signed off by the building inspector. :D

So. At the minute i've got my dry shell , and i'm ready for my first fix electrics. What i'm trying to do at the minute is , if nothing else , work out what loads are going to be needed so i can see if i can do the 2 bedrooms and couple of spare downstairs rooms. At the minute i'll have 16 double sockets need in all rooms , and aqll these are just general use sockets, nothing more than than general plug in household thing like computers, stereo's that sort of thing.
I dont pretend i understand 2B , LABC and the like. If i've missed something then i understand i need to stop and do it correctly.
PLease go gentle with your advise. :D

Ok , so i've got off my arse and checked LABC. yes i have this but my plans dont show any electrical drawings / items at all ?

2b is getting the better of me though

We've built a 2 bed extension . Applied for all the correct building planning / regs as you should and off went my builder.
Applying for correct Building Regulations approval includes specifying in what way the electrical work will comply.

You should read The Building Regulations. (It's a bit out of date regarding the giving of Energy Performance certificates, but the bulk of it is there)

I dont pretend i understand 2B , LABC and the like. If i've missed something then i understand i need to stop and do it correctly.
PLease go gentle with your advise. :D
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

Ok , so i've got off my a**e and checked LABC. yes i have this but my plans dont show any electrical drawings / items at all ?

2b is getting the better of me though
Schedule 2B in the Building Regulations is a list of what isn't notifiable, but that's only of relevance when the work is only what's in 2B. When electrical work is part of a larger notifiable project you still have to say how it will be done.

True, but the guy has built an extension, with a new bathroom, and if the bigger picture is notifiable (like an extension is) then all the controlled services in it (like electrics) are notifiable - 2B only applies when the work is ONLY what's in 2B.

So I was curious to know how he got that work past LABC if he didn't know where to drill joists, as that implies he's working without any useful reference guides.

Not sure why you felt you had to vote my question down, RF. :(

Sorry I wasn't aware of the other works. I've not really been on here much lately.

I have cancelled my thumbs down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back