Drill holes in brick too large, fill and redrill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

I have a heavy wrought iron side gate (6ft by 3ft)

The fixing plate for the hinges are fixed directly to a brick wall, and unfortunately in places in the mortar. The masonry screw bolt things had come loose. I removed them and filled with Fischer stuff and chemical fixing bolt things.

All ok... But now I need to fix the loose gate catch. This obviously isn't weight bearing like the gate, was held in with two screws and plastic wall plugs but unfortunately the drill holes in the brick are really large now.

What's the easiest way to fill them and then reattach the catch for the gate? I've seen a lot of ideas but I just want something easy that will last. Preferably filling in with some type of filler and redrill with a much smaller drill bit and use a Fischer duo thing that I have. Any idea much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Got a picture? My first thought is to resin fix some decent size dowels in the holes then screw into the dowel

Or just a larger plasplug

When a plug is a bit loose in its hole, or the wall is crumbly, you can inject outdoor builders adhesive into the hole (start with the nozzle at the back so there is no air bubble)

Press the plug into the adhesive so it is embedded

Leave overnight to set

The next day you can drive your screw into the plug.

Thanks I'll get a picture today when I drive over... I have a tube of rawlplug resin stuff and Fischer fis 360 I think it's called. Although I don't think I have the right filler gun for the fis 360 which is a two part in one connected tune if that makes sense...

The two holes in the brick are much larger than the largest wall plug I did try that first but the screws needed were too large tonight the latch fixings.

I read about toupret external masonry repair not sure if that would work? Apparently it sets within 30 mins. I guess I can use the rawlplug resin then just put two wall plugs in before it sets - I know from last time it sets fast and is hard work to drill. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
If the toupret is a sort of filler or plaster, it will not be strong and is liable to crack if you screw into it.

I have not used the resin but I hear it is good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back