drill press vice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Clarke Drill press and a vice from Machine Mart. The vice is listed as being suitable for the drill press but I can’t see how to attach it. The slots do not line up.
The vice is part number CDV40C and the drill press is CDP5EB
They are listed as being compatible.
I must be missing something and wonder how to fix it.
Any advice or information will be appreciated.
20220204_153427.jpg

Sponsored Links
You may find some offset tee bolts, but I doubt it!
To be fair it’s only usually necessary to bolt the vice down if you are doing some pretty heavy machining.....more usual is to hold the vice by hand.
John :)

To be fair it’s only usually necessary to bolt the vice down if you are doing some pretty heavy machining.....more usual is to hold the vice by hand.
Thanks, I'll try holding it. I've never owned one of these drills before so need to learn. I used one about 60 years ago but can't remeember the set up.

For normal work, holding the vice by hand will be fine. It’s a right faff to shift the vice if it’s held down anyway, but may be necessary if the hole you are drilling is on the large side.

Sponsored Links
The Drill bolts to the work bench then bolt vice to drill stand loosely with bolts, washers and nuts to suit. I have mine bolted loosely so it can be moved around to suit what you are drilling, then clamp it tight if required.

As Andy says turn vice 90 degrees.

I would also find it difficult to bolt mine with two fixings. As above, hand held is usually enough, if not, then one fixing will work fine - second fix point is the drill tip itself.

Have you tried turning it 90 degrees?
Andy
I want to drill three holes through a 1 metre long section of square tube, if I turn it I can't see how it will take the length but I will try.
(I have other jobs for the drill press but that is the first)

I sent an email to Machine Mart and they replied and said it is the wrong vice and I need a 3” one instead of this 4” vice.
The smaller one should arrive next week and I’ll see if it fits.
I’ll need to find bolts and nuts as they are not supplied. I think it would be good if they were supplied with the vice.

I want to drill three holes through a 1 metre long section of square tube, if I turn it I can't see how it will take the length but I will try.
(I have other jobs for the drill press but that is the first)
Assuming the holes are equally spaced on the tubing...(centre and ends)
You'll be able to do the middle one by yourself but if there is a substantial overhang, get someone just to support, but not lift, the tubing that overhangs - just to keep it level on the table and vice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back