Drill thro' concrete ground floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a rear extension built which has a large void underneath due to the sloping site. We're now at the first fit plumbing and electrics stage and as I've made access to the under void I would like them to put all the piping and wiring (apart from lighting) underneath and then come up thro' the slab. This, in my view makes future maintenance a lot easier. The block and beam floor will have PIR, ufh and covered in liquid screed.

The trades queried breaking the dpm both above and below the PIR but I was intending that the holes drilled would have round conduit pushed in to allow the wires and pipes to be fitted. Alternatively I could fit the conduit before any covering is put down but that would make it messy for the flooring guys.

Can anyone see a problem with this method?

Sponsored Links
When you say access do you mean sufficient for a fully grown plumber to walk upright, or a child sweep. In other words how will it help future maintenance.

Blup

The under void is about 6 feet deep with access holes to easily allow a worker to get through.

Pretty much any bathroom or kitchen has pipes through its dpm, if they didn't you'd need to tip it out of the window in a bucket.

Sponsored Links
The under void is about 6 feet deep with access holes to easily allow a worker to get through.
It makes sense to minimise intrusion from unsightly pipes to do as you suggest, some services inevitably go through the slab, just minimise opportunities for damp. And tell them you'll pay for the sds bit

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back