Drill - what type do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope you can help.

I need to buy a drill as my Black and Decker cordless tool pack has died - well the battery-charger/battery has and I only ever used the drill anyway.

I'm thinking corded, as I don't want to lose another power tool, because the battery pack has died and it's not always charged when you need it.

I don't know what type I need though and I can only afford one. I'd use it for drilling walls to put up blinds etc, but I might also want to fix something to an outside wall e.g. my dryer vent cover has fallen off and I'm thinking about installing a camera on the outside.

Can one drill do both these jobs - inside walls and outside?

Given that it will only be for occasional jobs, what would be a good brand to go for?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
I'd hunt around for a deal on a Bosch or Makita corded drill, although there are many types around!
You'll need a hammer action - which is effective to a degree - and maybe a chuck size of 10mm.
Add to that some decent masonry bits plus some HSS jobber drills and you're away.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman - I had to look up HSS jobber drills! I've got a basic pack of drill bits that I used with my old drill - nothing big or fancy though; very basic.

My old drill wouldn't cope with my outside walls and it would be great to have one that could - poor house won't know what's hit it - I'm rubbish at working out the correct drill bit size - is there a fool-proof method, especially matching plastic plugs to the drill bit size - it's what has put me off doing it before, but it would be ridiculous to get someone to re-fix my dryer vent cover - such a small job and there are so many other things I could do too, if I got the hang of it!

Thanks again :)

Personally for general work fixing to masonry, I'd buy a box of Fischer plastic wall plugs, 6mm diameter.
These need a 6mm diameter masonry bit, ( but a smaller one used initially could make things easier.)
The depth of the hole needs to be just longer than the plug, and it's best to clean the brick dust out with the drill ( or a puff of breath, eyes closed :eek:) before tapping the plug in with a hammer.
I have to say, it's best to give the drill quite heavy pressure when drilling, and drill in pulses using the trigger to prevent it spinning too fast.
Toolstation and Screwfix sell the plugs.

Sponsored Links
Some of the wickes drills are pretty decent for the money. Though they seem to have stopped making the professional range.

Thanks Burnerman for the advice - I shall buy some of those.

Thanks motorbiking - I'll take a look at the Wickes drills

Thanks for replying :)

5.30am start, so I wish you gentlemen a good night :)

Have a look in Aldi or Lidl. Their drills are OK for the price plus you get a 3 yr guarantee

just keep in mind you cant use a corded drill as a screwdriver

yeah you can if it's got a decent speed controller and/or is 2 speed gear.

I've used my 4kg hammer drill for screws plenty of times befor I bought an impact driver.

I always break the thread if I use a power screwdriver anyway! Thanks for all your advice :)

Can I just clarify though - you have something, say an outdoor light that needs to be attached to an outside wall. You are provided with 4 screws. How do you determine from those 4 screws, which plug you need and which drill bit you need. This is what I can't work out. Do you guys 'just know' by looking or is there a way to work it out? Thanks - I always get it wrong :(

I must admit I very rarely use the supplied screws as they can't know if you are drilling in to engineered brick or soft insulation brick.

I'll normally just go with what I have - a box of common sizes and plugs to suit. you won't go too wrong with 6mm and 8mm drills. and screws from 40mm to 80mm

places like toolstation or screwfix will sell these at £2 per 100 or less

also different screws annoyingly have different heads. so sometime you strip the thread without realising it's because the bit is too small

For this use a 6mm plug, and a screw that's either 3.5 or 4 gauge (that's the screw shaft diameter.) In the majority of cases, a quality Pozidriv screwdriver sized PZ2 is the one to have.
For most applications, 6mm plugs will do you fine, moving up to 8mm for heavier use - and in which case you'd use a 5mm gauge screw.
Most kits which contain screws and plugs are usually bin fodder (the screws and plugs I mean!)

Just to add, that if you really do want it mostly for masonry, you can't beat an SDS drill. Especially if the hammer drill you had was previously making hard going of the outside.
I've just come back from Lidl, and they had some there for (I think) £39.99, complete with a keyed chuck for "normal" drilling. They'd got quite a few at our Lidl here, but I think they were from a few days back so I wouldn't drive miles to look at them in case they have all gone where you are.

holding the plug to the tip of the drill visually checking its the same size works too, but if in doubt use a smaller drill bit, if the plug wont go in, go up a size.. You can't make the hole smaller as easily as you can make it bigger ;)

29985153785_d0fd880397_c.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back