Drilled into the wrong side of moulded door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Wondered if someone could help. I recently had several moulded doors hung by someone else. Had to remove them to trim the bottom edge when the carpets were fitted. No problem there but while they were off I noticed that one of the door latches/handles was not in the lock block side and is already coming loose after 2 weeks.

Is there a fix for this I've taken the handle off and the latch out and was planning on packing it in some way. I can get small blocks of wood through the latch but not got enough access to keep them in place.

Second option had been to push some rawplugs into the handle screw holes then use some expanding foam into the latch hole let that set and re drill the latch hole again with a flat bit.

Is this a terrible idea? I know the problems with exapnding foam splitting doors. Any other options?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I solved a similar problem by cutting some pieces of plywood to fit inside the door and covering the backs of the screw holes. I used several pieces cut small enough to manoeuver ito position working through the holes for the latch and handle, glued them and wedged them into place. It was a bit like building a ship in a bottle, but it worked for me.

You would need to either keep the pieces completely clear of the lock hole or completely fill the hole - spade bits bounce around all over the place and will probably either snap or turn round and try to drill a hole in you unless their centre point is properly supported in the work.

:idea: Another idea I wish I had thought of before - fit some of the spring steel clips with holes to accept self-tapping screws over the door skins around the hole for the handle. They are sold by car accessory shops and the like for attaching parts to car bodywork and plastic trim panels. :idea:

complain to the berk who installed them,YOU SHOULD ALLWAYS CHECK the lock position,its usually stamped on the top of the door.

Sponsored Links
the spring steel clips with holes to accept self-tapping screws over the door skins around the hole for the handle. They are sold by car accessory shops and the like for attaching parts to car bodywork and plastic trim panels. :idea:
Spire Clips

image.php

The spire clips would stick out under the handle plates and also raise the handle plate away from the door surface.Even using the correct edge some of the moulded doors are so poor you can't get a good fixing

There is a company called "contempo" who supply kits with knob handles and latch and through screws for a reasonable price. In the South West I get them from a "sell everything" outlet called Trago Mills, you may find a similar place where you are.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Trying to fix small pieces of wood inside didn't work but the double ended screws seem to have done the job. Only issue was only being able to use two rather than four screws as the tube latch was obviously in the was. It feels a lot more secure now though.

what length sleeve nuts/screws did you get? I haven't seen them long enough round here. What were they made of? Got a link?

btw you can get tubular latches with holes in to allow screws to go through.

I found a few in a box of screws, probably left over from when the kitchen was installed or to be honest they may have even been in with the door handles that I bought as it was a set with hinges etc. The screws were maybe about 50/60mm and I had to trim them down by about 5mm to get them to fit. I'll probably find out they were intended for something else but at least I can close my doors now.

There is a company called "contempo" who supply kits with knob handles and latch and through screws for a reasonable price. In the South West I get them from a "sell everything" outlet called Trago Mills, you may find a similar place where you are.

Trago Mills, where a great deal probably isn't happening.

True, Monkeh, but they did have those in when I wanted them, so I bought all I needed while they were there.
But, generally, I dont like the place.
As a matter of interest, where are you in Cornwall? I'm near Liskeard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back