Drilled through electrical cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have managed to drill through an electrical cable between a light switch and a light. I was considering simply using a connection block to fix it, then plaser over it. is this okay?

Sponsored Links
NO, since the moisture of the plaster may short it out, you should use a junction box, but that means that you will have to leave access to it, sorry you should change the whole cable

you can crimp the cables and wrap insulating tape tightly around the crimps.It will svae you the mess of chasing the wall and pulling in a new cable the patching back up.

welcome to the forums dog2, but do note, the reply you posted to was origonally made 11 months ago

Sponsored Links
Crimping mains cables is not ideal even when there is access.

Crimping when there is no access to the joins later on is not good (despite the tightly wrapped tape!).

Well - ignoring the (somewhat daft) idea of tape (should be heatshrink tubing, although I would accept that self-amalgamating tape might also be useful), and that the original poster has solved his problem, one way or t'other - what on earth is wrong with (proper ratchet-applied) crimps?

sticky situation.
i am not sure what i would do as i have never had that happening to me.
i allways check behind walls for pipes and wires before drilling.
little things like these can become annoying but not as annoying as the problem you face.

good luck whatever you do. if you crimp or not!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back