drilling into damn hard tiles (Stone)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
We recently had a loft conversion and in the en-suite bathroom, we had LEA Ceramiche Rainforest tiles on the walls.

I am now trying to put up a bathroom cabinet but after quite a lot of drilling, have managed to make a hole about half a mm deep!!!

A visit to the local B&Q for some 'expert' advice and I came home with what looked like was going to the daddy of all drill bits... this was no better than the cheapy bits I had been previously using.

PLease, can anybody offer any advice on how to drill into this tiles. Below is a link to the specs...

Many thanks in advance,

http://www.ceramichelea.com/gestione/immagini/serie/flash/LEA_R_FOREST_TABELLA_TECNIC06.pdf

Sponsored Links
365 drills also work on porcelain. they have a website try google for it

Or buy the same drill bits for about £0.50 each and make a simple guide out of scrap MDF or Ply. I use Richon, takes about 4 days to get to the UK.

365 were selling lidl diamond discs at a huge 500% mark up :!:

Jason

Sponsored Links
FORGET dry drilling, even with diamonds. This has got to be wet drilled. Dry drilling these tiles produces so much heat that the diamonds simply melt into the bits, becoming effectively blunt!

Your cheapest and most effective option is to go to Topps tiles. They stock a cheap wet drilling jig and pump bottle.
Make sure you have a continuous trickle of water as you diamond drill, and use medium speed / medium pressure. A little hint is to angle the bit, ever so slightly whilst drilling rather than keeping it flat to the tile.

The drills that the three of us have linked to are all used wet.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back