drilling into tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Complete novice here, so I'm hoping someone can help me

I just bought a house, and the shower rail is drilled into tiling at both ends.
I can see that one end of the shower rail is starting to come out and obviously needs re-securing

2 questions; what tools so I need ? Drill etc I guess ( told you I was a novice!! )...what kind of drill bit will i need etc?

second one - how do I drill the tile without shattering it?

All help gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Stick a bit of tape where you want the hole and mark with a pen, use a normal (sharp) metal drill bit in your drill without hammer (if fitted) and drill at a slow speed untill through the tile. You can if you are careful use a masonry bit (no hammer) once through the surface.

If all it needs is re-securing. just rescure it then no need to drill holes if your not comfortable doing that.

If the wall plugs are coming out of the tile, pull 'em out completely then get a new plug (a nice new one that will fit snugly into the old hole without too much forcing) and then just re- screw the rail!

Hey presto - job done and no need to re-drill and fill old holes with waterproof grout!

Sponsored Links
Hi

Complete novice here, so I'm hoping someone can help me

I just bought a house, and the shower rail is drilled into tiling at both ends.
I can see that one end of the shower rail is starting to come out and obviously needs re-securing

2 questions; what tools so I need ? Drill etc I guess ( told you I was a novice!! )...what kind of drill bit will i need etc?

second one - how do I drill the tile without shattering it?

All help gratefully received!
Didn't look at the sticky did ya? ;)

A drill with variable speeds is crucial; if you don't own one, buy one - it's a must-have tool.
Set of masonry drill bits - standard bits dull too quickly when they hit tile and concrete.
Heavy-duty tape.Toggle bolts are needed to prevent the tile from cracking due to the buildup of pressure; toggles distribute the weight of what you're hanging.
First, mark each spot for drilling a hole with an "X" made of tape - this strengthens the tile around the hole. Now, slowly drill through the tape, the tile and the wall behind it until you hit air; stick the toggle bolts through, fasten them to your accessories and you're finished.

Make certain that the plug is below the level of the tile, otherwise you will split the tile when it expands.

If you dont hit air while drilling (if you have a solid wall) a good tip so you dont drill deeper than needed is to wrap a bit of insulation tape around your drill bit which will mark slightly more than the length of the screw you intend to use. That way, when your drilling the wall, you can look at the tape on the bit to see how far or how much further you need to drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back