Drilling through a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This sounds like a simple question but I live in a 1930's house and in one of the rooms we have a cctv system, current camera wires go through the roof into the loft and then come down the ceiling. I had to get some guys in to do this. Want to put some more up and seen that an easier way would be to drill through the wall and thread cable through. The house by the way has dormer eaves. Looking at the pictures am I right in thinking if i drill through the internal wall it will be two bricks with an empty cavity inbetween? It would be easier for me to drill from the inside. from the pictures you can see that the lounge ceiling (bedroom floor) sits lower than eaves and assumming that the space above the window directly under the roof/eaves is the other side of the bedroom wall in the other picture. Advise please, is this simple?

Attachments

• Bedroom wall inside.jpg
    Bedroom wall inside.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Outside wall2.jpg
    Outside wall2.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 235
Sponsored Links
Cheers Ian yep will drill from outside then, would of been easy to drill crouched down in bedroom instead of up some ladders but I down want to damage the wall. Should I go though with a small drill first, I’ve got 3 cables to go through so I might make 3 small holes 10mm-14mm instead of one big one

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that the eaves mean that from the outside, you need to drill upwards- not a bad thing as it avoids water running down the cable.
Buy a long thin drill bit and a fatter one. Use the thin one and open up the hole with the fatter one
Use a length of bendy wire of plastic to thread the cable

On my house, I drilled into the sofit (upvc) vertically and rammed a piece of plastic trunking capping up
It took several goes but eventually it came up inside the loft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back