Drilling through metal studs to feed cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to run some cable in the ceiling to create a new lighting point.

However, I have a walls and ceiling held together by metal studs

Can the sparkies explain the easiest/ quickest way to drill through the metal to feed the cable? What bits/tools do need?

Also do I need to take any additional precautions to protect the cable as I anticipate that burrs will remain on the metal which could potentially affect the cable

Sponsored Links
20mm holesaw, then fit a 20mm female conduit adaptor in the hole.

Interesting. Has anyone any idea why it is said to be "specifically for cordless power tools?

Sponsored Links
I suspect that they are saying that the design has been optimised for cordless drills to allow more holes to be cut per battery charge.
Maybe !
I don't think they are saying that you have to use a cordless drill. ...
That would, indeed, make no sense (hence my question) but the word "specifically" does seem to imply it !

Maybe !

That would, indeed, make no sense (hence my question) but the word "specifically" does seem to imply it !

The recommended rpm is 175 to 800 rpm

Perhaps they want to discourage people from using corded drills with much higher RPMs. That doesn't make much sense though. My cordless Metabo has a max RPM of 3,000 rpm, that exceeds many corded drills.

Why not email them, ask them and post back here?

The recommended rpm is 175 to 800 rpm .... ... Perhaps they want to discourage people from using corded drills with much higher RPMs. That doesn't make much sense though. My cordless Metabo has a max RPM of 3,000 rpm, that exceeds many corded drills.
Quite so.
Why not email them, ask them and post back here?
I don't think I'm sufficiently concerned/interested to be bothered, but I'll let you know if I do! I really just asked in case I was missing some explanation which would make at least a bit of sense!

Quite so.

I don't think I'm sufficiently concerned/interested to be bothered, but I'll let you know if I do! I really just asked in case I was missing some explanation which would make at least a bit of sense!

Fair call, I am not gonna lose any sleep in the meantime.

20mm holesaw, then fit a 20mm female conduit adaptor in the hole.

Many thanks JW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back