Drilling tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a look taking a supply to a cooker hood, there is a double socket nearby so i am going to take a spur from that to a switched fused spur but i need to chop a metal box in next to the double.

The double is on tiles and the position of the "new" fuse spur will be on the joint of 4 tiles aswell :(

Any handy tips of cutting tiles with minimal damage would be greatly appreciated! thanks all

p.s thought of a small angle grinder but don't want to buy one just for this job even though it will no doubt come in handy

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a couple of 6mm tile drill bits. Mark your back box out and make several holes around your mark. (keep the drill bit wet) then carefully tap the piece of tile out. If it comes out in one piece then you get 1000 points! Take it slow otherwise you'll end up replacing the whole tile.

If the tiles are ceramic and /or 3-8mm thick you shouldn't have too many probs. If they are porcelain or any other hard material and thicker, then you got problems... harder hole-saws and bits are available but they aint cheap.

good luck!

i got some tile drills from ebay for a quid and they work great .
ps .dont use hammer action

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back