Drip from CH Return Feed Ravenheat RSF20/20ET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today suddenly the boilers CH Return Feed connector (the one of the far right when looking from the front of the boiler) started dripping and the pressure suddenly went low.

I opened the brass coupling and found the washer had worn out, but it was of a very different type. It had a rubber ring in the middle and the outer edge was fabric.

Because I could not find one similar in my tool box I replaced it with a standard fabric washer 3/4 inch and tightened it up and pressured up the boiler to 1 Bar and suddenly I had a massive leak from the same place again. Removed the pressure again and opened it and replaced it again with a second new washer and the same problem again.

I have changed 4 washers and it still leaks! most bizzare!!!

Does anyone know whether I need that special washer which has a rubber seal in the middle? and where I could get this from?

This boiler has been having problems ever since we moved into our house back in 1999. Just this Easter I replaced the heat exchanger/CH DV.

I think after this winter I must find a new replacement boiler as I am really fed up with this unit.

Any advice would be appreciated in choosing a good make of boiler, I have good experience with Valiant but I suppose they also have their fair share of problems.

MG.

Sponsored Links
I have changed 4 washers and it still leaks! most bizzare!!!

Theres got to be something else going on. Time for a new valve perhaps and a new washer while you are at it.

Whenever I get a mystery like that I often find a hairline crack in the brassware.

Indeed unlikely to be the washer, unless the wrong one was fitted in the first place and the alternative you are using now is even more off.
Chances are there is something broken underneath or near the washer

Sponsored Links
Indeed unlikely to be the washer, unless the wrong one was fitted in the first place and the alternative you are using now is even more off.
Chances are there is something broken underneath or near the washer

Thanks, I have checked to see if there are any hairline cracks in the brassware. I have noticed the leak increases as the temperature rises.

The leak appears to be coming from the centre from the copper pipe. The problem I think is because there is very little space to get as the connector. I suspect it is not tight enough and because the hot water rushing thru it is at high pressure/temperature and as it gets hotter the joint is expanding and starts to leak more. I am using a plumber wrench with the grips and I have not been able to tighten it properly and that is why it is leaking. I have lost my speed wrench, I will have to get a new one.

MG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back