Dripping Kitchen Mixer Tap - Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new kitchen mixer tap, ceramic 1/4 turn, installed less than a year ago and all has worked fine until recently with constant drips now even though the taps are closed. Here's the tap I bought from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EIFFEL-CONTEM...ryZ29508QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The tap is loose so I have tried to tighten the backnut as much as possible but it is still dripping. I have replaced the O-rings at the base of the spout (well, actually had a spare spout since they made a mistake with my ebay order), but still no luck. Any help greatly appreciated! I do notice when I turn off the main stopcock in the house and open the cold tap to drain, there is still a fairly constant trickle which does not stop (have had the taps open for at least 30 mins) so I'm not sure if that is the problem as I expected that would stop the water supply to the cold tap. Yes, I am a novice but trying to be self-sufficient. Thanks :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
That’s cheap taps for you I’m afraid; it’s probably one of the rubber sealing washers fitted to the end of the ceramic valves. I had exactly the same problem & was able to temporarily cure it by stripping the tap valves out & re-locating the seal but the problem always returned; I junked the tap & bought a decent one!

Depending on weather it’s a gate valve or stop cock it sounds like either it’s not fully closing or the rubber sealing washer has gone. Again, mine is the same but a little extra leverage on the tap does the trick with mine but don’t overdo it or you could bugger it completely.

Thanks Richard. Shame, I know you get what you pay for but disappointed as these taps seem on the face of it to be just the same as those at £100+ in B&Q...
How do you get to the rubber selaing washers? I can't see anything obvious. Just would be interested to have a look at them before I trundle down to B&Q for a new decent tap I guess.

My tap had cross head handles; there was a Phillips screw under each end plate (screw on). Undo the Phillips screw & the crosshead handle could be removed exposing a nut which holds the ceramic valves in the tap body. My guess is you will have something similar underneath the lever handles but I don’t know how you get those off; perhaps they pull off.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back