Dripping Overflow from unvented system (w/pics)

Megaflo cylinder have the instructions on how to recharge the air bubble in their cylinders both in the USER instructions and on the side of the cylinder, cant see how recharging an expansion vessel is any different.

Sponsored Links
Hello guys thanks very much for all the responses, excuse me taking a week to post back again.

Yes, you were right ref the Tundish showing the drip. Just to clarify - The tundish on the side of the hot unvented cylinder in the attic (as per orginal pic) reveals the drip which makes it's way to the outside pipe. Spot on. Thanks for whoever pointed that out.

I'll have a google on the procedure for rectifying - Noting that at least one person said it's not necessarily a DIY job.

Could I ask - If I were to leave this and blissfully ignore....am I likely to regret it?...it's not causing an immediate problem at the moment. Will it continue like this for years, or am I days away from disaster?

P.S - When I said 'new house', I meant that I'd just bought it, not that it's a new build! :D

Cheers again!!!

Tom

OK hello again :)

Just had a look at the expansion vessel.

With the H/W feed to cylinder OFF, and a hot faucet open - There is 0 PSI / 0 BAR pressure at the Schrader valve of the expansion vessel.

I couldn't resist putting in a couple of pumps - The pressure begins to build for a moment but leaks out and is flat again within 2-3seconds.

I imagine then, that the rubber in the vessel is split? Is there anything else I can do to confirm it?

Cheers in advance!!

Tom

It's a warning sign that there is an issue that needs professional attention! If left unattended it "could" lead to a situation that is FUBAR!
Potentially lethal defects don't care if you can't afford to address them!

Sponsored Links
P.S!

Actually - I'd read elsewhere that water would come out of the schrader is the rubber was split - It didn't, bone dry (h/w feed OFF).

Could I check the rubber by turning the feed back ON and depressing the Schrader to see if water comes through?

Tom

A typical expansion vessel takes about ten minutes to pump up from flat, putting a couple a pumps in aint going to do anything, same as you did before just for a bit longer.

I could give a **** easy step by step to identify if it's split or not ,,,,, but we don't just go to college and get qualifications just to tell people how to do it , because this is linked to an unvented cylinder , I'm unsure why people are giving you advice

Last edited:
Jesus pal its pumping up an empty expansion vessel, whats the difference from recharging the air bubble on a megaflo ?

I ment actually checking to see if air is letting by , removal of ex vessel ,,,,, classed as working on un vent systems , dunno if u knew that :p

The dripping pipe is probably NOT an over flow but a badly installed condensate drain from the boiler. Condensing boilers produce a liquid ( water with dilute acids ) when they condense the water vapour produced by burning the fuel

It should be arranged that the condensate liquid is taken to a drain or a properly constructed soak away

Do you have G3 qualifications BG??

How does he get away with it?? Not only does he advise DaftyDIYers on their gas installation, he's now turned his Googling ability to unvented cylinders!!! Surely, surely he's got to be banned for this???

Hi :D

Just moved into a new house - I'd got to know my old vented system pretty well and did quite a bit of successful DIY work on it.

However - This new place has an unvented / pressurized system, and one of the overflows is dripping.

For the H/W, in the attic there is a cylinder with a smaller expansion bottle next to it. See photo below. Note: there is a vented tank for the C/H expansion.

The boiler is an oil-burning 'wallstar' with no obvious faults.

My problem isn't a critical one (I hope) - but I've noticed that every evening/morning when the boiler is running DHW, one of the overflow pipes drips.

The pipes in this house are all buried in the wall so I can't see where this overflow runs to/from which is annoying. There are two, both located only about 6' from the boiler location and about 6" from the outside ground level, rather than poking out of the eves like I'm used to.

I can't figure out why it's dripping, here are a few other bits of info to help;

- It drips constantly while DHW is running. About 1 drip per second.

- It does it in all weathers (hot or cold)

- I can't see any leaks or issues in the plumbing system elsewhere.

- Boiler seems to function normally, no noises, no smoke,

- I doubt it's related, but there is a water softener installed in the location of the original HW cylinder (before unvented system installed).

- The unvented system was installed 2011.

Really grateful if anyone can help :)

Cheers,

Tom

You need to call in a G3 qualified Plumber to deal with your installation problems & ensure your cylinder is serviced annually. THIS IS NOT A DIY FIX!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back