Driverless cars,think it could work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just seen this on the BBC website about the driverless car bill being signed in google HQ . It say the car has to have a licensed driver behind the wheel in case of emergency...but look at the stats it said it logged over 300k miles without a accident but there was one when it was manually driven, is this the way forward or pie in the sky?, I cant see it working myself .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19726951

Sponsored Links
Would be nice to get into a car and be able to sleep all the way to Cornwall or somewhere.
Only problem I could see, is the vast majority of driver driven vehicles on the roads when driverless technology was introduced. ;) ;) ;)

I can see how it could work (think automated factory warehouses)assuming all cars were constructed it this way but question the need for it. Sometimes it seems to me that technogoly just tries to complicate things that don't need anything more complex that what is already here. It may stop a few accidents but won't solve problems of congestion and pollution all of which are easily solved with public transport systems.

It may stop a few accidents but won't solve problems of congestion and pollution

It's the future! (tm).

I suspect we may see in our lifetime non computer controlled cars banned from motorways.

Computer controlled cars could hook up to a central system directing traffic and speed, think of cars going through junctions at 80mph perpendicular to each other.

minor roads would follow soon after.

solved with public transport systems.

HO HO HO!

Sponsored Links
It may stop a few accidents but won't solve problems of congestion and pollution

It's the future! (tm).

I suspect we may see in our lifetime non computer controlled cars banned from motorways.

Computer controlled cars could hook up to a central system directing traffic and speed, think of cars going through junctions at 80mph perpendicular to each other.

HO HO HO!

You seem to have put the ho ho ho in the wrong place , should have gone before the second quote :rolleyes:

It's the future! (tm).

HO HO HO!

what is the technology difference between a major and a minor road?

The technology is already here it just needs applying, i think the costs will be recouped no matter what the price.
I can show you a robot that builds cars. :mrgreen:

anyway to answer the question, its just a matter of time. 90+ % of accidents are driver error.

The technology is already here it just needs applying, i think the costs will be recouped no matter what the price.
I don't think you're wrong to say that it could be applied and maybe it is the future but I do wonder about the costs. A great deal was made about the tax take in the recent smoking thread and this set me wondering. If this technogoly is applied there won't be any accidents and with advances in security systems using bio recognition there shouldn't be any cars stolen either. This SHOULD mean at the very least substaninly lower or even zero insurance costs. Add to this no one will speed , jump a red light, go down a oneway street the wrong way , illegally park or commit any motoring offence then the government will stand to lose millions in fines and tax.
I can show you a robot that builds cars. :mrgreen:

Can't help thinking of the "Not the nine o'clock" sketch about fiats - built by robots , driven by Italians :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNPTlT8HXjk

Anyhoo come the oil crisis and there won't be enough cars on the road to warrent any of this :cry:

It's the future! (tm).

HO HO HO!

Motorways tend to be straight, with multiple lanes, and fast junctions (not right angles or roundabouts).

Lot's of congestion on motorways is caused by how people drive, not the actual number of cars vs capacity (traffic waves, lane swapping, trucks going side by side).

Minor roads are different, jams are mostly caused by junctions. And roads contain many more obstacles (and people may run out into them).

It's the future! (tm).

HO HO HO!

Motorways tend to be straight, with multiple lanes, and fast junctions (not right angles or roundabouts).

Lot's of congestion on motorways is caused by how people drive, not the actual number of cars vs capacity (traffic waves, lane swapping, trucks going side by side).

Minor roads are different, jams are mostly caused by junctions. And roads contain many more obstacles (and people may run out into them).

So?

Much of the congestion I see on motorways is due to volume of traffic. People queue to get off at junctions, people queue to get on! Its nothing to do with manner of driving. Two lorries are allowed to pass each other, it just pees everyone off when they decide to start the overtake at the bottom of an incline or a left bend, where it will inevitably take twice as long to pass!

Sponsored Links
Back