Driveway advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys just looking for some advice on my driveway so I can drive my car on it. I'm gona look at having a load of hardcore put down then compacted. Do I need to take anything away or could I just level it off and have the hardcore dumped on top of it if I dig about 6 inches down on the front and take it up to the back and level it could I get away with it?

Attachments

• 20160525_160037.jpg
    20160525_160037.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
What was this surface before works began? You can happily level it out if the stuff your levelling is hardcore of any kind. If its soil you should dig it out and remove it. Consider your final surface when putting in hardcore. No point in having to remove some when you want to pave it etc in a few years.

Minimum 150mm compacted for a driveway, I would go 200mm if you have a van or large 4x4

It was just a side garden full of turf and I belive the previous owner dug it out to build a garage extension but sold up and dumped a load of concrete on it. I was just gona break up the concrete level the concrete and the soil all off and just drop the hardcore on top mixed in with the broken up concrete

Sponsored Links
Breaking up the concrete into small (less than half a brick) pieces and mixing it in with the hardcore is fine. Any soil that is dug out should absolutely be removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back