driveway diaster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
minor disaster with the driveway this week and im not sure what to do about it.

the wifes car has been leaking petrol onto the tarmac. i didnt notice and its a bad leak. its stripped away the bitumen and left the aggregate loose. there is a sizeable patch of petrol left on the tar and i dont want to hose it off incase it makes matters worse. bloody drive was only laid 6 months ago and this has buggered it. :evil:

any suggestions on how to repair it to a reasonable standard?

can take a pic if required.

Sponsored Links
I would say that the volatile solvent agents within the petrol will have evaporated and neutralized by now. So washing down, particularly with a detergent, won't be a problem

Repairs to tarmac can be carried out but are not entirely 'scar free'.

You can either angle grind the patch out, apply a bitumen primer and a repair patch of tarmac - or warm the area first and then try and pack or compact some tarmac into the existing.

Using hot tar would be ideal, but difficult to get hold of. Cold applied diy stuff is ok at best.

p.s. matching the aggregate size is important but difficult and affects the blending-in process.

thanks.

being in the middle of the drive its not going to get any tyres or anything over it. could i re-use tar that is left over in a heap round the side of the house? heat it and the holes and try to pack it in? its 10mm chips by the way.

being realistic it wont look great whatever i do but at least it might not deepen any more if i fill it now.

Sponsored Links
thanks.

could i re-use tar that is left over in a heap round the side of the house? heat it and the holes and try to pack it in? its 10mm chips by the way.

being realistic it wont look great whatever i do but at least it might not deepen any more if i fill it now.

Worth a pop. Try applying some white spirit to the damaged area just prior to ramming in the warmed tarmac as it will 'prime' the area first.

ok. ill try it when i get a dry day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back