Driving a 7.5 tonne on car licence

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
Quick question for anybody in the know.

The story so far, i'm trying to catch a person out who is bulls hitting about starting a business up that will involve him driving a 7.5 tonner, my question is what is he allowed to drive on a car licence, FYI he's 58 and passed well before me

I passed in 1988 and as such i have Catergory C1 entitlement automatically but those who passed after 1997 did not get this and would need to pass a further test BUT.....didn't the law recently change to say even those who passed before 97 and who automatically had entitlement will now need to pass a further test.

FYI this guy passed well before me so will have C1 and i'm 99.9% certain he has not had any further training as per law changes (if any)

Can someone confirm whether the law changed to what i think it has?

Sponsored Links
If he's 58 yrs old he will be able to drive up to 7.5 ton gross weight.
No need for further training if he's already granted a cat C1.

If he's 58 yrs old he will be able to drive up to 7.5 ton gross weight.
No need for further training if he's always granted a cat C1.

So you are saying the law hasn't changed then, i might be wrong on that but i'm sure it had :confused:

I swore i heard under this new law anyone who had entitlement has now lost it unless you took a further test, hmmm!

Sponsored Links
Yipee - I can join the monkeys in the white wagons breaking every item and parcel :LOL: age has it`s advantages

Found this so i might of been mistaken because theres no mention of drivers, just supervisors

Important Notice - New Legislation was introduced at the beginning of April 2010 regarding who can supervise learner drivers in Category C1-7.5 tonnes.Those holding pre-1997 licences on "grandfather rights" can no longer supervise learners

Only drivers who have passed the DSA C1 or C LGV test can now supervise learners in category C1 - 7.5 tonnes (7.5t), providing they passed the relevant test prior to the new legislation and only if grandfather rights were already held. If they passed the practical test after this date the standard three year qualifying period to act as a supervising driver for the relevant category applies.

He'll also have to get a digital tachograph card and study up on driving hours. ;) ;)

Used to drive 7.5 tonners on my last job. Cruise control fitted to modern vehicles, means once your on the motorway, it's easy to stick to the 56mph.

My brother has a 7.5 tonner and he has to do a new driving test in a few months or risk being fined for being unlicenced.
The other option is sell the lorry.
skynet legislation I expect :mrgreen:

my tatty bit of green paper says i can drive a 7.5 ton

Ditto - plus the privilidge of riding any motorbike I want. If only that little avenue of pleasure hadn't been closed off by 'er indoors. :cry:

I wear the trousers in my house......................the wife just tells me what pair to put on.

Andy

:LOL: :LOL:

Just after we got married, I told her to put a pair of my trousers on. I then told her that was the first and last time she wore the trousers in our house.

Then, she told me to put a pair of her knickers on. I told her not to be so stupid, ''I'll never be able to get into your pants'' - she said ''you're right, you won't - not until you change your ways.'' :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back