Drone noise in cold water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever i run the cold water tap or flush the toulet in the bathroom there is a low, droning sound tha lasts a few seconds. I have ran the tap to get rid of the possiblle air lock but to no avail. It doesnt happen with the downstairs kitchen tap. It has happened for months and driving us mad.

Any idea what is causing it ?

Sponsored Links
I would guess that the outlets in question are actually fed from a cold water tank in the loft......if this is correct, the float fill valve just needs a new washer as it is bouncing a little.
John :)

Sponsored Links
In which case, can you identify where the droning noise is coming from?
Check the main incoming stop cock for a start, and any other isolating valves that may be elsewhere in the property.
Almost certainly, the noise is coming from a vibrating washer, somewhere.
John :)

It's actually the hot water tap that makes the noise (sorry, I got it wrong) We used to have a copper tank until we had a combi installed downstairs 4 years ago. Even then when they took the tank out (which imploded when they drained it) they found there was no header tank. They looked for it even though we told them we didn't have one. They had to concede in the end.

You say a noise comes after you flush the WC. That's probably the float valve in the cistern. Change it for a modern fluidmaster which is very quiet.

How many taps make a noise?

Are you sure now that no cold taps make a noise and it is only hot ones?

Did you find the stopcock? Is there also one under the boiler?

The noise from the hot water comes from the hot water tap. Also running cold water makes a drone, as well as flushing the toilet. Its not the toilet cystern that is making the noise. It seems to be coming from the supply of cold water. The stop tap is awkward to get to as i have to drag the washing machine out which is quite a job. There are taps under the combi boiler.

It now seems to be just flushing the toilet with the drone goes on much longer. The cold tap doesn't affect it at all. I have no idea what to do to stop this.

Sorry John, I forgot about that. Thanks anyway. Do all models fit or do I have to get a specific model for a normal handle flush ?

Check all other hot taps in the house. When the noise kicks in, try turning each hot tap in turn just a little bit to see if the noise changes or stops. If that happens then that particular tap needs a new valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back