Dropped Kerb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but was just wondering if anyone could offer some info. I've had my application for a dropped kerb approved by my council and have received all the forms etc.

I have a BT manhole on the pavement in front of the driveway. In the specifications, it doesn't really say in depth if anything needs to be done, just that me and the contractor should locate and identify any utility services.

My question is, would a contractor just adequately lower the manhole in accordance with regulations etc? Or aren't they allowed to do this? The letter from the council doesn't give me anything specific, just to noitfy them 15 days before the works will be done, they haven't even given me a list of contractors I can use!

Anyone had any experience with this or any groundworks contractors out there that can fill me in? Do I need to contact BT?

Sponsored Links
once you have permission to work on the 'highway' and if you don't intend using the councils' own contractors, then you will need a company that will have suitable insurance and be familiar with working on a public road.

if it is a busy road then you may even need traffic lights, adequate signage, cones etc.

any damage to b.t. equipment and you will be liable.

or get a bunch of ****** in and keep schtum. :eek:

Sponsored Links
like noseall say's they will have to have someone with a highway's ticket which if they don't have their own
then a way round this is to have a man with a ticket there from the tarmac company that will be resurfacing the path
they'll add his time to the bill.
traffic control, tickets should all be sorted by the groundwork company and most will have a tarmacing company that they normally
work with.

got your permission for the driveway as well?

Already have a driveway.

I'm just going to find out the approved contractors and get quotes off a few and see what they say, then just get it done. Think that's the best way. :)

Sorry to raise this again, but I have been contacting contractors for quotes, and one guy has quoted me a good price and said the BT box is no problem, but I have spoken to another one who said the cover may need to be changed to a stronger one for cars and that he can't touch the BT box as they are funny about that, and I would have to contact BT and get them to lower it as well.

I'm a bit confused, and is it likely that BT will do this for me? I know they will charge, which I'm not looking forward to. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back