Drowned Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24Ri

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a blocking up syphon and light use, the boiler seems to have locked out and blew its circuit board fuse. The syphon was cleaned out and replaced, but the heat exchanger had a couple of pints (?) of water in when the syphon was removed. Could there be any ignitor/sensor damage causing lockout... even on a replacement board?

Sponsored Links
No, from the start I've decided to GSI and called a local heating firm who has swapped the circuit board. The job hit the bank holiday and now it's weekend.......!

Should be fine in the heat ex, the electrodes are right at the top.

Unless waters coming from elsewhere you shouldnt have had as much water as that in the heat ex. The boiler would cut out once the bottom couple of inches are full.

Sponsored Links
If the combustion chamber was absolutely soaked then its probably that the ignition electrode has condensation all over it and is not working.

This can be checked by measuring the resistance from electrode to earth and make sure its several MegOhms.

Or remove it and dry it and see if it sparks out of the boiler.

But all this work must be done by a gas registered engineer and not a DIYer.

The PCB would only fail is water got onto it. Even if it does then it can usually be retrieved of the power was off when water hit it.

Tony

Thanks for the responses folks... very grateful.
I will pass on the info to the plumber/gasman on Monday. He laughed, when my shirt sleeve filled with water. It felt like a couple of pints... possibly half a pint is a better guess!

Don't know when you are employing a gas man why his sleeves are not the ones to get wet.

Tony

Ha yes.... I was a 74year old "apprentice/work experience" bod working to instructions on non gas bits. OK the syphon was full, but it surprised us both! Serves me right, I shouldn't get involved. Hopefully, he will have the solution next week. Thankfully, it's May...... not too cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back