Dry Hip End Tile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be installing a new dry ridge and hips. Ridge end caps are pretty easy to come by and inexpensive. However, there doesn't seem to be an end cap for hips, only end hip tiles which run at around £35 each!

What's the next best alternative to closing the hip above the gutter short of paying for end hip tiles? Would filling the gap under the hip tile with mortar be viewed as a bodge on a dry fix installation?

Sponsored Links
What type are they for that price? Standard blockend hips come in at under a tenner.

They are to match Marley Acme Heather plain tiles. The third round hips cost under £3, it's just the end tiles which are insanely expensive!

Just mortar the starter hip. It will be partly shielded by the hip iron in any case.

Sponsored Links
Would I need a hip iron if the starter hip was mechanically fixed as per a dry hip system (i.e. fixing in the joint and drilled/screwed through the center)? Isn't the hip iron there to prevent the entire line of hips from sliding where they are only bedded?

I wouldn't mortar the hip starter. That takes away the point of a maintenance free dry ridge system. The hip starter ridge normally run about £30 ish so the price per hip starter ridge seems ok.

There is another way which would be cheaper, and give your roof the 100% dry ridge maintenance free look...
Buy a dry ridge blonk end (manthorpe) and place that over the end of the ridge... it will need to be trimmed off at the bottom and then fixed into the battern on the hip (from the front of the blonk end. You could also get some grey/brown screw caps to put on so you don't see the screws. Seeing the screws would spoil the job.
Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back