Dry lining questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

Should I dry line a new breeze block wall (about 75m2 in total) and then skim, or is it better to do a scratch coat then skim.

The height of the room is 2.7m. 2.4m plasterboard is about £6 per sheet, while 2.7m is about £12 per sheet, should I use the 2.4m and then add a 25cm strip, if so top or bottom. Or should I pay the extra for the 2.7m

Plasterboard thickness, i'm assuming walls are 12.5, is the the same for ceilings with bare joists.

many thanks, apologies if the question are a little dumb.

Sponsored Links
hello,

Should I dry line a new breeze block wall (about 75m2 in total) and then skim, or is it better to do a scratch coat then skim.
Think labour-wise this will be more expensive to scratch coat then float before skim on top (esp at 75m2).
Though it is the stronger/more robust solution.

The height of the room is 2.7m. 2.4m plasterboard is about £6 per sheet, while 2.7m is about £12 per sheet, should I use the 2.4m and then add a 25cm strip, if so top or bottom. Or should I pay the extra for the 2.7m
For £6 difference, I'd go with the 2.4m and put the bit at the top. Once skimmed you shouldn't see any difference.
Use a generous application of drywall adhesive on the wall at the join, and be careful to line them up to the long board below and also across the wall.
If you went the other way and put the bit at the bottom, you may get problems with a heavy board sitting on a small slither whilst waiting for the adhesive to dry.

Don't forget a small gap at the bottom to keep them off the floor.

Plasterboard thickness, i'm assuming walls are 12.5, is the the same for ceilings with bare joists.
many thanks, apologies if the question are a little dumb.

Yes, 12.5mm for walls and ceiling.

No probs - no such thing as a dumb question ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back